Bad headaches whilst on sertraline

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've gone up to 100mg of Sertraline 6 days ago. I had headaches whilst on 50mg but they are really bad the last week. I think they are migraines. Tight pulling sensation in forehead and across the head. Really hurts to move and even hurts to breath in through nose. Will this feeling ease ?

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I was on Sertraline but changed to Venlafaxine as the Sert didn't work out for me.

I had the WORST side effects (I thing all over, night sweats, bruised black and blue) but it died down after 6-8 weeks.

• Posted

Oh how come you were bruised? Did you have headaches to ? Also did you come off sertraline ok ? Sorry for all the questions
    • Posted

The bruising was a result of the itching (I'd knead myself in my sleep).

Yes to headaches but these cleared up after a couple of weeks!

I came off Sertraline fine, if you don't feel like it is working for you then please do ask to change. 

• Posted

Yes it's from the med... it'll ease up very soon. I had that too. Very annoying, but hang in there it fades. I have been increased to 100mg 2 weeks now and get random anxiety attacks. It's terrible because I never had them this often. So now I'm just waiting/praying this medicine is for me.... my friend swears by it... I'm still waiting.... sad

• Posted

Oh thanks. Have your headaches gone ? When I went on 50mg 2 and a half years ago I remember having a bad first week and what I remember after that was good.
    • Posted

YESsmile Mine have totally gone away...   It took a few weeks, but they are gone.   Now, I just have random anxiety attacks... (I was put on this med for Anxiety) and now it's worse than before I started!   lol....   BUT, i've heard that can take 8 to 12 weeks for this to stop... SO i'm hanging in there... but it's very frustrating.   It's not every day, but it's enough for me!!!  
    • Posted

YOU AND ME BOTH!!!  lol..  it's been a bummer lately.  But a friend of mine swears by Zoloft and says it helped her so much.  So hang in there, there will be better days ahead.  My headaches are totally gone.  smile
    • Posted

Hello I'm on Zoloft (50 mg). Just switched from Prozac (30 mg) for panic attacks...also taking kolonipin 0.25 prn. I'm on week 2. Did your panic attacks ever stop?

• Posted

I started out on 25mg after being on a couple other bad drugs.  I was starting to feel better then my doctor raised it to 50mg felt like I was in a bubble.  Went back down to 25mg in the morning then cut a 25mg in half and took that in the evening.  4 weeks ago I slowly stopped the 12.5mg in the evening.  Now only on the 25mg - for some people too much is too much!  I really am enjoying life again.  Still have some aches that I didn't have before but it could be worse!  
    • Posted

Yes, pretty bad for me.  Considering I NEVER get headaches...  I had bad ones.  I took Tylenol and it helped me some... I also would rub my temples in circles, that helped somewhat...    It WILL pass.... takes a few weeks...It's just the brain adjusting.   Nothing more smile
  • Posted

I have body aches - never really had headaches but now get them once in a while.  I hoping someday to get off this drug but not for a while.
    • Posted

Yes me to but not ready yet just getting on higher dose ! Can't be ready for going off symptoms,will put up with it for a few weeks and see what happens. Got to give it a fair chance I suppose.
    • Posted

YES... have to give it more time.  If 3 months you don't feel better, than this med isn't for us... that's what I was told.. I'm going to give it a lot more time.  I'm really hoping it kicks in.... I don't want to switch and have to start all over again.  It's too much start up symptoms.

I plan to stay on this one for a long time.  Eventually  I will go off, but not for a while. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.