Help to stop burning associated with AV

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with VA after 9 months of various doctors appointments and tests. My main problems were pressure in the bladder especially first thing in the morning with the need to wee more than once causing discomfort and spasms and constant burning down below.

I was given Vagifem which I took for 2 months but it did not help. My last visit to a new consultant has confirmed that VA is the problem. I am 48 and my cyle is erractic and am peri-menopause. I am now using Estriol cream every other day at night- so far so good as it is early days. My consultant said that the burning was probably caused by the urine againt the soreness and recommended that before I wee I use lubricating gel on my bits before urinating. This helps as a barrier and protects the skin from further trauma. I thought I would post the idea incase anyone else if having the same problems. This is a horrible condition that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Took me three years to get a diagnoses. Urologist thought it was intercystal cystitis which I was treated for but didn't have. Had mever heard of VA till I found this site. New gyn/urologist diagnosed Hope you have relief. I was using Premarin and developed yeast infections and many Uti's. Had Mona Lisa laser three weeks ago. 2 more treatments. So far so good. Only time will tell. Wishing you the best outcome in this treacherous disease
    • Posted

God 3 years is such along time to be suffering. It has probaby got worse as time has gone by. It makes you so angry that we all seem to be in the same postion with no early diagnosis and being left to try and carry on with daily life. I have read about the Mono lisa touch on the internet but not sure it is available here in the UK. I hope that it works well for you and that you will let me know how you are getting on further doen the line. Take care.
    • Posted

It is available in Harley Street London & a couple of other places but not on the NHS unfortunately.
  • Posted

I have Va also what do u use as a protectant against irritation?
    • Posted

I am using Sutherland lubricating jelly for the burning before urinating which you can buy from Amazon. My burning was pretty bad and could last for hours or even all day before. It really is helping me. Hope it helps you.
  • Posted

Hi there, Yes I've got VA too. I'm 58 years old. Like you I get that awful burning and a need to wee all the time. It's just been really bad this afternoon. So painful and uncomfortable. Thankfully it is easing up a bit now but it fluctuates day to day and hour to hour.

I used Vagifem for about 6 months but it didn't help. Like you, I've now got Estriol cream to use but owing to strokes being in the side effects, and having lost my mum to a bad stroke 6 months ago, I'm too scared to use it!

I think I will have to do like you consultant said and use lubricating gel before weeing.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy either. Some days it has me rooted to the spot so I don't want to go anywhere or do anything.

I am trying Balance Active gel on a night and also VIt E Suppositorys in between times. And I use Hydromol on the outside as well.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi there

I would give it a go. It is called Sutherland lubricating jelly which you can get from Amazon. I just use it before I need to go and then wipe it off afterwards. Its really helping me at the moment. Hope it helps you. Take care

• Posted

I have never heard of AV until I joined this forum and it has been very helpful to hear fellow suffers history.  It is GP who said I have got AV despite being seen by several gynae.  I have all the nasty symptoms, the burning sensation and I keep sending my urine to be tested.  So far it has been manageable as I do not want hormone cream.  I use replens cream as a lubricant once a week, not sure whether it helps.  I keep wondering whether it is masking something more serious. You are not alone.
    • Posted

Hi Marie, I had never heard of A V till I got it 18 months ago either. It's awful isn't it. I was so sore this afternoon I didn't know where to put myself. I don't really want to use hormone cream (Again) either because of the side effects. But it may come to that in the end. I did try it last year without knowing what the side effects were, but it didn't help. So trying it again would be a last resort. I used Replens briefly but it didn't do much for me. I saw the gynae a week ago and the only good thing to come out of it was that there is nothing sinister going on up inside me. I just wish the burning would end once and for all and the urge to wee all the time.
    • Posted

I know how you fee it is as if it is on fire down there.  At least you know there is nothing sinister going on just AV.  As for me am due for a hysterescopy due to spotting and thick lining of the womb and am petrifried about it.  I thought I was going mad and whether such symptoms do exist and there is a name for it.  Thanks ladies for this forum.
    • Posted

Yes its just feels like its on fire doesn't it but thankfully nothing sinister, only AV. I've not heard of an hysterescopy before but I would be scared too. When are you having the procedure? I've to have another hip replacement soon and I'm scared of that too. sad
    • Posted

Waiting for appointment. It is just a camera inside vagina to see whether there is anything sinister going on. Good luck on your hip replacement.
    • Posted

Hope camera reveals all is clear. I'm sure it will. Hip replacement early April if its not delayed because of the junior doctors strikes. Already got other hip done. Take care. :-)
    • Posted

Had the procedure yesterday and everything is fine. I am also going to see a urologist may be the problem s bladder not gynae as I am suffering from post micturition and bladder feel not completely empty,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.