Muscle wastage in both legs

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was on simvastin for 4 years and developed bad pain in both legs when standing up.  I have to steady myself before I can start walking.  I have CK in my blood tests.  I was told by my doctor to stop taking the statins.  I have got worse in my legs after 6 months. Doctor put me on another statin.  When I read the same side effects as simvastin I didn't take any.  I couldn't believe that doctor would put me on a tablet that caused the same bad side effects. I will be going to have my blood tests done soon but would like to know whether anyone has asked about sueing the statin drug company and would the doctor be helpful about it? 

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Stop taking the statins and wait to see whether your symptoms improve.

Doctors are asked to offer statins to patients deemed to be at risk for heart attacks and strokes, according to the criteria determined by some questionnair, but you have a right to refuse.

There is a lot of controversy within the medical profession itself as to the benefits of Statins, and eventually things will come to a head. I think it is almost impossible for a single person to sue the drug companies or NICE - the body that dictates the guidelines to GP. But, if the claims start coming in - and it probably will be initiated by the US - I will join in.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I do hope there will be something happening with regards to help for all the people crippled with the statins.  I have a friend in Melbourne, Australia and he has informed that there's an investigation happening now into all the Statin companies.
  • Posted

Halleluia!  (Hellaluia, really...)
    • Posted

Yes that's what he told me about two weeks ago.  Let's hope something comes out of it.
  • Posted

I've taken different statins over a ten year period and had the dreaded muscle wasting and now peripheral neuropathy leading to balance problems and difficulty walking. My neurology consultant could not find the cause of my neuropathy but denied that statins were responsible but I think otherwise. Studies have shown a connection but doctors are still in denial.
    • Posted

This is very weird, it's as if no doctors dare tell the truth.
    • Posted

I've had 2 doctors tell me 'don't believe everything you read on the internet' Well I'm not an idiot and if I only believe 5% of what I've read it still confirms all my symptoms. And one of them also told me not to believe what people tell you. Covering their behinds I think

• Posted

I think the problem is that for the majority statins maybe ok but for the minority they're hell and they (the minority) have to get on with it. On that basis doctors will prescribe.

As far as taking the pharma's to court I would have to prove beyond doubt that statins caused my problems and that would be as impossible as the pharma's proving statins were not.

Only winners are the lawyers.

• Posted

I think that it is a matter of severity regarding the side effects of statins. As they are beingn prescribed to main ly older people, most users will tend to think that their loss of mobility is simply age related.

It is virtually impossible for an individual to sue either the Drug Companies or NICE without the support of many influential pressure groups. I think, eventually, it is going to happen. In the meantime all we can do is to raise people's awareness of the dangers of statins.

• Posted

Agree, but I do wish that for every message posted the poster submitted a Yellow Card report. That is one way of raising awareness.

• Posted

Sorry I don't know what a yellow card report is, can you help?
    • Posted

I googled Yellow Card report and have registered with them. Thanks for info.
    • Posted

Do you know if Australia has a similiar programme?

• Posted

https://www.tga.gov.au/report-side-effect-medicine
    • Posted

Thre is. If you google 'reporting medication side-effecxts in australia'.
    • Posted

Thanks marco. I don't suppose it's possible but wouldn't it be good if we could see the collected data on the site

• Posted

I would love to report my experience of the side effects of statins, but AUS will not allow me to because I don't live there. Can't fill in the proper blanks, what I type in won't stay because it doesn't fit what's already there in the drop-downs.  Guess they are only interested in their own people registering.

Anybody know whom to register with here in the States?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.