Chronic Cough?.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a chronic cough for 6 months now. I've been to the doctors who sent me off for a chest xray it came back all clear!. Asthma test that also got ruled out!. I suffer from hayfever my eyes water and i sneeze alot!..

My cough is worse when i'm at home new builds behind me getting built and if i don't take allergy tablets i cough more?.

I'm obsessed something is seriously wrong and i have lung cancer!. I don't have chest pains and been to doctors who said it might be seasonal hayfever/allergies.. Would it show on xray if it was bad?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

l started with allergic rhinitus many years ago, usual symptoms, congestion sore eyes and bouts of coughing, often feeling like choking as if grit in my throat, diagnosed allergic rhinitus, given rynoncrom nasal spray which helped a lot, not available now.  Many people get hayfever, but other allergens can cause same symptoms, depends what people are allergic to, l found diesel fumes started me coughing, if stood near vehice revving engine, or parked up running,  then soot, plaster and cement dust when we,d work done at home. Also some toiletries and some detergents, not all. For me the common ingredient seems to be formalin as in many products. Dr told me its like opening a window with other allergens then affecting. l,m not sure if allergy shows on xrays, but inflammation that allergies cause can be seen in nose eyes throat, probably chest if bad, but often more the throat that causes the irritation and coughing. . l got a cold over Christmas and have had a sticky cough since, l think allergens are getting worse generally, and think maybe  the seasonal allergens started recently, but if yours as gone on 6month it could be more perenial rhinitus, all year,  then its about what the allergens are, and it could be building dust from nearby site, 

they do have scratch allergy testing, through gp, but l dont think its very affective but you could ask gp, also try different anti histamines, maybe see if a nasal spray helps.  If your not having other serious symptoms like pain or weight loss it is more likely to be allergic rhinitus.   good luck  

• Posted

I have a chronic cough which can give me a sore throat. Currenlty waiting for an app at ENT. I am not sure if it is hayfever as it can sometimes ease when i take antihisamines but doesnt completely go.
  • Posted

I have the exact same thing !!! Had bloods and xray done all clear. I am awaiting an appointment at ENT. My doctor has given me a nasal spray and hayfever tablets.
  • Posted

Hi jodie i am still suffering with the cough. Had my ENT appointment, everything is fine. Still non the wiser over the cough xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.