My legs itch so much they bleed when I scratch them.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello , I had my varicose veins stripped about 20 yrs ago I had both legs done same time but a year later the veins came back and when they did an ultra sound  test found some of the branches were not caught , so now I have really bad ones as they have got worse over these years ,  

my legs are ruined now by them plus black veins that look like bruises that are worse down on my ankles. 

The thing is in the last couple of years my legs have been very  itchy and I scratch till they bleed ( can't help it ) but in the last few weeks on the back of my calves I have had a patch come up a bit similar to eczema  , one leg in particular is really bad and god it itches especially when I take off my work trousers and at night. I cry with it. I'm ashamed of my legs I hate summer and holidays I'm so embarrassed by them. Has anyone else got these problems with their veins and any advice please. 

Gill. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if there is any connection between your itching and your veins. There are SO MANY things that cause skin irritations!

I had vein ablation three years ago because they said I needed it done. I really couldn't tell much difference in how my leg felt after the procedure was done. I had the shots to eliminate spider veins which worked for a few months, but NEW spider veins began to appear within about four months and continue to appear as new spider veins.

• Posted

Yes, I think the itching is related to your varicose veins plus the eczema - known as varicose eczema.

Since you've had an ultra-sound I'm suprised they haven't offered you foam-sclerotherapy which is what I've had done since my original stripping.

The point of the 'foam' procedure is that it can be done numerous times and doesn't hurt compared to the strip -- I'd get back and see what can be done, the itching is a problem and should be investigated.

https://patient.info/health/varicose-eczema-leaflet

You should still be using compression stockings as this also exasperates the problem.

• Posted

I do believe that varicose veins are hereditary from parents especially and other issues from the same genes is dry irritated skin! I have recently been diagnosed with a few varicose veins and have suffered for a number of years with the purplish thread veins around my ankles.

Nothing that I saw ever gave me pain or discomfort until about 3 months ago when the veins in my calves started to swell overnight! I got a heaviness and uncomfortable feelings in both legs - a combination of dull pain at the points of the veins and heavy almost like trudging through water in my ankles.  So I saw my doctor who diagnosed the varicose veins and suggested support tights which have been an absolute god send as while I have the veins still and the spider veins in my ankle area I suffer no pain or discomfort!

While the itching may be linked - it could just be coincidence as my dad had itchy skin on his legs - nowhere else but he did not suffer from varicose veins so check it out with your Doctor as we should never self diagnose..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.