How long do other people's diverticulitis attacks last? Just read someone on soft diet x 2months?!

Posted , 153 users are following.

I'd love to know how long other people's flare-ups last on average. Have had D disease x 15 y. Had 3 attacks in past 6 wks. Urgh! I usually take antis & get up after 1 or 2 days, liquids only x 36hrs then soft foods x about a week, then gradually reintro fibre, seeds, pulses. Maybe I should stay on soft food more than a few days after 36h on liquids?? Opinions please! And btw its almost impossible to lose weight when this rotten condition dictates eating all the wrong stuff after an attack.. White flour pasta, mash..all those carbs! And stodge! Not helpful. Any ideas? Thanks. New to forum. Am 63 now & desperate to do anything to avoid surgery. Hi to all fellow-sufferers..this thing is a so 'n so & invades at the drop of a hat. Oh..and...

If anyone has ideas about how to address core strength safely please...do tell. Caz

7 likes, 498 replies

498 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello,I've experienced a flare up in February and it last for me 2 1/2 weeks. I struggled to get my body normal in the process because I was in pain and couldn't eat then on liquid diet I lost weight. Everyone is different so it all depends. I feel your pain and this is a distressing condition for al of us. Now I'm eating some real foods but I am watching exactly what I eat. I hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thanks ..17 days!! Omg. Yes I too am careful with foods.. I read that if you combine 2 catalyst foods it can be disastrous. Some "blogs" though are ads.. for very pricey info! And the lists of which foods are triggers vary widely. As you say we are all different. You are one brave lady. I'm fed up after 1 day out of action! Self- management & knowing your own trigger foods is vital but sometimes the Big D flares up for no obvious reason. I wonder if certain exercises make it worse; yesterday I did aquarobics with abdo crunches! Take care. CAZ
    • Posted

Thank you for the compliment but I'm really not brave cause it literally puts me down and I can't go to work. Thank goodness I had sick days so I was able to use that but it has been extremely difficult for me, I am 59 years young and I got to tell you as we all know it's a condition we don't want to repeat over and over. You said today you did some abdo crunches is it helping your discomfort?
    • Posted

Hi Angelina..yes it's utterly butterly debilitating eh? Thank goodness I am recently retired because it's a costly illness when it prevents you working. Employers don't understand it very well..they seem to think it's like a tummy bug & you should be up & running in 48 hrs max. Haha! Ref: ex ercise..I think gentle exercise helps keep the ststem going ...but the abdo crunches might have been overkill. It's hard to work on tummy muscles with the Big D.
    • Posted

I'm retiring within a year and a half and I am trying to hang in there I will continue to watch what I eat cause that's seems to be a big part of my problem. Today I cheated a little and cooked a pot roast and white rice and I just finished eating cause I stay hungry so I ate good today but tomorrow at work I'll be easy and drinking water is a plus.
    • Posted

Well I hope the pot roast doesnt have any lasting ill-effects! Meat is a no-no fir me but yes lots of water. Hang on in there. X
    • Edited

I have been so hungry since I had this issue, so today I had meat but I won't do this for a long while cause red meat is definitely not good. How are you doing with going to the bathroom? I only ask cause one time my stool was soft, then I couldn't go but felt like I needed to go.
    • Posted

Hmm...the bathroom is a minefield! Up & down, in & out, leave, return. Some v difficult & variable times..but that's without usual with the big D & obviously relates to intake & liquid...its horrifying to realise that red meat stays in your system for up to 5 days, even without diverticula .. the pockets can store food for weeks. Im going to sleep now..talk another time.
    • Edited

I know how you feel one minute your struggling to go next you Gota go urgently horrid and as you say you feel you still need to go 
    • Posted

Hello Angelina1956. I'm new on here as you all can see. I'm going through a flare up now, I'm on the liquid diet as well. I've going through for 2wks. Been taking my meds since Tuesday, I feel better than I did last week. I waited awhile b4 going to the doctor because I can endure pain, but type of pain will make you pay attention and call a doctor really fast. I got diagnosed with this mess 3years ago come this November 19th. I eat right I love vegetables I slipped up one tome. Although this is my 2nd flare up. Its awful. Like Caz4563 said the supervisor and other people that has never had this disease they will never understand how we really suffer. I'll pray for us all that we don't have another flare up in the near future. I miss eating my popcorn though. Be blessed!!!

• Edited

For me, what I eat makes very little difference. It will just flare up for no reason but will literally wipe me out for several days. I have tried every food and herbal products to help but nothing does. It seems to be a big problem but very little that can be done to help.
    • Posted

Thanks Shirley. Yes..ditto. What's your view on exercise? And do you find stress exacerbates the condition?

See my reply to Angelina..even though flare-ups seem to occur out of the blue, I'm still incluned to monitor my intake because UF it works, even 89% of the time, it's worth it to avoid the knife! Doctirs..I.e. FPs..are told D is incurabke so there's a high incidence of referrals fir surgery...but I'm not convinced it's the answer, especially having read some of the otger comments here! Caz

• Posted

I know what you mean cause so many people are experiencing this problem. It's not easy trying to eat healthy when all your life we have eaten everything or anything we wanted but nowadays we can't do that. This is a big problem not to mention how sick we feel
    • Posted

O dear. Lots if typos in last reply. Sorry..am not myself today. Just fed up enough to be desperate for info/opinions...& delighted to find this forum. Xx
    • Posted

That's okay I know cause I kept telling my doctor that I'm tired of feeling this way and having this pain. So continued with the liquid diet and continued on the medication and slowly and I mean slowly I started feeling better and like myself. This is a very slow process of getting well since. So rest, take the medicine in its entirety and get better. Sorry your going through this
    • Posted

No sweetie you are not alone, I use to think I was going through this only, but I did my research online and I was surprise how many people suffer from this. So I hear people's stories and it also helps me to help myself.
    • Edited

How long did it take you to recover fully after taking meds. It's been a mth for me after meds and I still have lower stomach cramps left and right side. It brings me down and my stress and anxiety are really heightened

• Posted

I get a prescription for Symax. It is wonderful, a lifesaver for me, the sharp pains are gone in 1 to 2 hours. Need to drink a lot as it dehydrates you. 

• Posted

Hi Linda, my name is Pam I'm 62 I saw your post today about Symax. I'm not familiar with it is it like a antispamotic? This is my first real bout with this and I'm freaking out. I have been on 3 different antibiotics in 3 weeks and nothing. Do you take antibiotics along with Symax? I am scared to even do chicken broth but with the antibiotics I feel so nausea nauseous. I have only had chicken broth and a little jello this is the third day lots of water & Gatorade. Sorry to go on & on but I can seem to get anywhere from my doctor and as I'm sure you know I feel terrible. The pain is WoW. Thanks So Much, Pam i

• Posted

Yes, it is like an antispasmodic. I could not be without it!! As soon as I start to get the stabbing pain in my lower left side, I take a Symax (prescription) & within the hour the pain starts to go away - it is wonderful. You will need to drink plenty of fluids or you will become dehydrated, but that is what makes it work so well. I am not on antibiotics. My pharmacist also told me to take a high potency probiotic with the 4 or 5 cultures in it that start with

the letter “B” (Bifidobacterium lactis is one for example). Get one from 25

billion to 80 billion live cultures. Three companies that are good: Fortify,

Renew Life, & Up 4 Ultra. I take one every day & they help a lot. For me,

stress is 50% of the cause & certain foods (gluten, which seems to stay in my system & not digest) is the other 50%. I quit eating most foods with gluten, such as bread, pasta, donuts. When I am having problems, I usually eat eggs, scrambled/fried/hard boiled, because they seem easy on the stomach & easy to digest. If I do eat pizza or something like that, I take the broad spectrum Digestive Enzymes to help get it digested. But Symax is my lifesaver, I would be at the ER without it. 

• Posted

P.S. I feel like I am about the only one who takes Symax, & the people on here could get more relief if they took it. I think the problem is that most family doctors had not heard of Symax. My Gastrointestinal doctor gave me the prescription, & later on when I asked my family doctor for more, she asked me what it was for, then looked it up on the computer & read about it before writing the prescription. It was the same thing later on when I switched to another family doctor. Then the pharmacy didn’t carry it, but looked it up & ordered it. They order it for me now so I don’t think anyone else is taking it. It takes the pain away by being an antispasmodic, then it seems to draw fluids to that area causing you to empty those pockets of waste in your colon, which is what diverticulitis basically is. So it solves the problem. Antibiotics with get rid of infection, but until you empty those pockets of waste, you will still hurt. I’m sure if I changed my diet to fish, fruit & vegetables, beans, I would not have this problem at all, but it all comes down to willpower. I have also ordered the Enzymatic Whole Body Cleansing Kit & I believe the one from Renew Life, which both work well - I believe I will use these just to keep cleared out & prevent the problem in the first place. I eat eggs & oatmeal when I am in distress. And Gatorade. 

• Posted

Hi Linda!

Great advice!  Regarding our diet....less is more!  I try to only eat 2 meals a day to let my colon rest more.  Also I try to eat the food that God created......if it was made by someone else, comes in a box, or bag, I don't eat it!  God did make cows and all the other animals, but I don't eat them.  I do eat An occasional egg.  It was hard giving up coffee and bakery goods and mac and cheese and the like, but I can't handle another bout of diverticulitis.  I am down for two weeks!  The drugs make me sick too and depressed!  I will definitely take note of symax!  I seem to be able to eat every seed and nut without a problem altho I do chew my food much more carefully now.  Haven't tried popcorn yet and probably won't!  We are a special group of people!  There is no drug to help us regulate our health issue like diabetes and high blood pressure.  Therefore our food becomes our medicine.  I am 68 and female and have had 2 bouts of diverticulitis one year apart.  The first time I thought I made enough changes to never have another attack! Wrong!  This time I made radical changes and have been good for 5+ months!  Happy Face!

• Edited

I hear ya there, I’ve lost 40lbs in 5 months. I was diagnosed in February, never told about a diet and I got worse ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics for abscess. They sent me home on more antibiotics and soft diet. I developed anxiety and panic attacks real bad and couldn’t eat anything. Was to Dr and ER so much felt like I was going crazy. So joined a mental health program to help with the anxiety and learned to advocate for myself to Dr. They did every blood work and cat scans, stool tests,Endoscopy and finally colonoscopy. Diagnosed with severe Diverticulosis (3 spots) in sigmoid along with Diverticulitis induced IBS and just had SIBO test done which is positive so now back on antibiotics for 2 weeks, I eat off the Low FodMat diet, no dairy , no coffee or soda, popcorn, and candy ugh It’s been very hard 5 months. Change in lifestyle and coming to terms and acceptance of my condition and trying to control the anxiety. On top of being off work it’s hard. But I keep my head up and live day by day hoping I will feel myself again soon. Prayers to all who have lived with this DD. 🤗🙏

• Posted

Hi Linda, thank You so very much for your input. I know everyone is different so common sense also plays. Role in this. I am going to. Gastro Dr tomorrow Nd I am going to ask for Symax. I stopped taking the antibiotics yesterday after 6 days on this which is cipro& flygal it was making me so sick on top of the pain.I feel better yesterday and today just from not being so nauseous. I will let you know about what my dr says. Never have to much info. Thanks, Pam

• Posted

Hello Everyone,

I am 51 and have been diagnosed with D.  Thanks for the tips on Symax, I am curious if you can take this while you are having an attack or is this something you take all the time to prevent further attacks.  I am struggling with a flare up ( 3 weeks now ) and can't wait to ask my doctor about this.

Thanks.

• Edited

Hello All, well just got back from my gastro dr & she wanted to put me in the hospital for a couple of days to do IV antibiotics, I told her my primary dr had put me on cipro & flagyl but it made me so nauseous that I quit taking them sunday. I told her I have been on a liquid diet and without eating I couldn't stomach them, she said eat soft diet and finish them up or it's hospital time. I ate some mashed potatoes and resumed them and its been a few hours and I feel ok. I put a potatoe in my microwave and when its done I take the peel off and only use some chicken broth to mash it up some. It's great since I havent eaten in 4days. I also got some Symax I asked for it, someone on hete said it was a life saver and I feel I need one. I just took it an hour ago so we will see. It said take up to 4 times a day. So you use it during an episode, it helps with the spasms. I have used it for yrs for my kitties under the name hyoshmine for straining when they have a UTI. Will keep you updated please pray this works I do not want to go to the hospital, god only knows what I would catch from being there on top of this. 😭

• Posted

What is Symantec? Is it same as Bentyl for spasms? Cipro made me so sick and gave me anxiety . Hope you feel better soon. 🙏

• Posted

I doubt you could take more than once per day unless it is a very low dose. You get a dry mouth & will be dehydrated unless you drink lots & lots of fluids. 

• Posted

Hey Linda, It didn't do anything for me, still spasms and discomfort but what works for one doesn't work for all unfortunately. But since eating some mashed potatoes no nausea from my meds so I'm really relieved about that, but thats not to say they will clear up the infection. So if I have to do a couple of days in the hospital on an IV then I do. Whatever it takes to get over this and move forward.

• Posted

Hey Vickie, my pharmacist said it is in the same group of meds. Really sorry your meds make you sick are you doing a little food with them? You might want to ask your dr about just doing a couple of days in the hospital on an IV. I live in Florida don't know your location maybe not an option for you. My dr said that was choice finish the meds or hospital but again just

for IV or I would be freaking out I'm a real chicken and this has me scared and I have been in major pain for going on 4weeks now. I hope you get over this quickly. 🌻

• Posted

Thank you, I’m not in a flare up had mine in Feb, I just had colonoscopy have severe Diverticulosis, removed 6polyps all normal but have Diverticulitis induced IBS and SIBO so on Antibiotics, Augmentin. Ugh been hard 5 months. 
    • Posted

Wow - so sorry to hear that! It works great for me. Hope you can find some relief. 
    • Edited

Hi Saw yr stuff above.

I  have had the D for some time now.

Its only recently that i ahve got it under some sort of control

Due to Not eating any fried food

Not eating pizza/cheese

No spicy food

No red meat

Try drinking hot water in the morning before anything....

This is most important

Try porridge oats in the morning

Try eating baked fish  for lunch

Try Veg and rice  lightly stir fried,not too much oil though..

Anything that produces Acid in yr sore tummy is to be avoided

Like chocolate/cream.cheese etc

as i said try the Hot water in the morning ,i know its not very exciting,but it will help you.

Be careful when you go in to a supermarket,its very easy to give in to the wrong stuff,as you know by now.

all the best / hang in there Linda32696

• Posted

Great advice Chris, I live off the Low FodMat diet right now, and gave up all sugar and carbs, processed foods, except jasmine rice. Beef bone broth daily with Brags Apple cider vinegar with warm water and a bit of lemon in morning. I also developed SIBO/IBS So fiber for me right now is very low. Hard to figure out diet cuz suppose to have lotsa fiber to prevent flare up of the DD. I think that when people with DD have to go on liquid diet then soft and feel icky weak,is due to ketonosis state. And a messed up Vagus nerve , mind/gut thing. Well prayers to all who have this awful disease, but never give up it will get better! 🙏🌸🌺

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this, I was there to Cipro made me so sick, and gave me anxiety, but we have to take them , They gave me Bentyl for spasms u can take 4-6 a day with plenty water, pedilyte, and take a probiotic helps settle tummy and diarrhea. Do tea chamomile or ginger or peppermint. Drink beef bone broth and some crackers. Mashed potatoes and carrots. Hope that helps, don’t like being in hospital cuz they will just send you home on more antibiotics. You can do this you don’t wanna get a worse infection up in there. It will get better after antibiotics. Prayers sent your way. 🙏🌺

• Posted

Thanks Vickie   I Do hope you are improving..

You sound like you are getting all the right food okay.

Fingers crossed for you   and thanks again.

chris

• Posted

Just curious, I read that Diverticulitis can be caused by a low fiber diet but my diet has always been high in fiber, has anyone else experience this? Is too much fiber also bad for this condition?
    • Posted

Hi

I was in hospital 3 weeks ago with perforated diverticulitis. I have had IBS since I was 18 (I'm 52 now). I never knew I had diverticulitis. Anyways, just started the low residue diet but stooling becomes frequent with cramps. How long does it take to recover and when should I go back to work? Doctor was vague.

• Posted

Hi Laura, did you have surgery? I never had surgery, just small abscess, It takes a while to heal, I’m still not regular with my bowels, and still have pain . I went between diarrhea to constipation.You need a strict diet. Slowly add fiber. Drink a lot of water and cranberry juice. Probiotics also. They say that even with Diverticulosis you can still have discomfort for long time. I developed SIBO / IBS also, so just got done with antibiotics for that. Ugh seems never ending, I’m still off work 5 months now, but hope to go back next month. Was on the FMLA at my job. Hope you find answers, keep a food journal it helps. 
    • Posted

Thanks Vicki. No they didn't do surgery. Surgeon says they give it time to heal on its own. Some days I still have no appetite. I feel very tired. I get occasional cramps in lower left side and on the right. I'm trying to boost nutrition but finding it hard. Stooling is like you said, quick and loose or just have urgency and can't go. So glad I can talk to you because this is a lonely road. Surgeon didn't give me any direction. I feel guilty I'm not working😢

• Posted

Yeah I totally hear ya on the not working, used almost all my savings, but least I got the Fmla so my job is secure. What’s your diet like? I stuck with mashed potatoes, mashed carrots, chicken and fish boiled soft. Soups and broths. Cream of wheat and white bread. No fried or processed foods. No dairy, although some people can handle it but I can’t. Gatorade, pedialyte, cranberry juice and tons of water. The antibiotics knock you on ass wipe you out. So it takes awhile to heal. Lotsa rest, Tylenol and heating pad, do not get constapation, so I’d add a fiber supplement. And good probiotics. I also do B12 and D3 vitamins. If you do Ensure only do clear kind. I had to have them order it for me at Walmart. And Dr gave me Bentyl help with spasm and discomfort in tummy. Everyone is diff so you just gotta find out what works best for you. It’s hard with the IBS also, cuz of diet. Prayers to you for a speedy recovery and that you find comfort. 🙏🌺🌸🤗

• Posted

the brain/gut connection is a b***h. I find that my flares are exacerbated by anxiety, which in turn makes the flare worse which...

some of my flares lasts 2 days, while others weeks it seems. the liquid diet deal is painful, too, obvious. best of luck to u, man.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.