Is this related to constipation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi i am new to being constipated. it's been going on now for several months where i go every 2 to 3 days. i normally go once a day. my issue is that when i go it's large and the start is dry/hard and painful. to combat this i read online about what can be done or consumed to solve the dry/hard issue (next paragragh). otherwise, i eat a high fiber diet. i take no medication and are otherwise very healthy.

over the last several days i have been consuming sugar free candy (1-3 a day), prune juice, apple sauce and a low dose of magnesium (200 mg). for the last several days i have felt strange ie., dizzy, out of it and bloated. even cold in a warm room.

here's my main issue;

so i have not gone #2 for the last 3 days. while asleep last night i woke up feeling very odd with the same symptoms as i have just described above, but much more severe. i thought maybe i had high blood pressure, but when i checked i was 124/78 (very normal). i do not normally have high blood pressure. i took 2 baby aspirins and i walked around. i felt so strange i did not know whether i should call 911 or just wait it out. i went to the bathroom and strained and was successfull. with the new additons of candy, magnessium, apple sauce and prune juice seemed to make my feces very soft.  as soon as i went to the bathroom i felt much much better. the bloating in my face and stomach went away almost instantly. the dizziness and high blood pressure feeling was gone and i felt like myself again.

has anyone expierenced anything like this? can constipation and not going for several days make you feel like this?

i have read in this forum going to the er for constipation, but they don't describe their symptoms other than not being able to go.

if you have felt like this before what did you do to make yourself feel better? if i had not been lucky to go #2 i would hate to think how i would have made it through the night.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Hope you are feeling a little better today. I have been the same since February except I didn't go at all for 3 weeks causing a lot of pain. Turned out I have faecal impactions in my bowels. Since taking several laxatives a day I find I go naturally twice a week. I look about 5 months pregnant with a swollen belly.. I had a colonoscopy recently. Still waiting on some results. I take Dulcoease capsules and suppositiories now just to help me go when I find it difficult. I would see your GP run some bloods. Are you anemic at all? As that can cause constipation. Mine started once I found out I was b13 deficient and I have my first lot of injections but I was taking painkillers for a while previously but definitely go and see you doctor see what they suggest. My dr tried a lot with me but I got admitted into hospital in the end and treated there twice since February. Good luck and hopefully something can help

• Posted

thanks amy. will look into what you stated. i do feel much better.
  • Posted

Dear Abc ,I am sorry for your problems. I just started to have some constipation issues . Could you please tell me what kind of candy do you take? The name ? please? I always thought apple sauce will make things worst but I see it helps . Thank you .

I cannot have fiber buy itself as it makes meeven more constipated .For example psylliumseeds . They are not ok for me.

• Posted

hi mariana, go to candy isle at walmart. you will find sugar free candy there. look on the back of the bag to see if there is a laxative disclaimer. i bought jolly ranchers. i also do not consumer extra fiber. 
    • Posted

Thank you very much abc .I will look for them .I hope you feel better. I was thinking about your symptoms.I will copy and paste something rom wikipedia maybe it sounds like waht you felt? Here it comes.

,, Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach very rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the small intestine expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (having increased osmolarity) contents from the stomach. This causes symptoms due to the fluid shift into the gut lumen with plasma volume contraction and acute intestinal distention.[1] "Early" dumping begins concurrently within 15 to 30 minutes from ingestion of a meal.[1] Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens one to three hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types"

Take care .

• Posted

thanks mariana, for the info. for me i think all the laxatives caused the issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.