Appointmenr tomorrow, any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have my first appointment tomorrow. However it's with the Endocrine service at the day hospital not the Endocrine department as I expected. The letter says the the appointment is simply to rule out Cushings. How can they do that in one appointment?

I have all the symptoms, I'm frustrated at not being taken seriously.

Should I go in armed with all my symptoms written down? If whatever "tests" they are going to do come back negative what should my next steps be?

Any help/advice appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,I would definitely go armed with your list of symptoms, and if possible a photograph of yourself just before or at the start of your symptoms. My original endocrinologist saw me quickly after I sent my list of symptoms in a letter to her.On just seeing me she could see I had Cushing's.Show your list of symptoms to the doctor,instead of trying to remember what you consider to be the most important. You may find that certain symptoms say Cushing's more than others to the doctor.I really do wish you a successful appointment,and the best of luck.Gill
    • Posted

Thanks very much Gill.

So like a photo of say stomach before/after? Face before/after?

I'm worried because I don't think after looking online I physically present myself as Cushings on face value. I have the weight gain, enlarged stomach, round face, stretch marks on thighs/stomach as well as all the non physical other symptoms. However I don't have the buffalo hump.

Thanks for your reassuring words Gill

• Posted

Just a general photo showing you as a whole so they can see what changes have taken place, I'm sure would be fine. Hopefully doing some initial blood tests should find out if you have Cushing's.Mine was just my cortisol level coming back abnormal,after months of being fobbed off with virus,depression,early menopause etc etc.That was 19 years ago, and I hate to think of anyone else going through it.I so hope you haven't got Cushing's.Gill
    • Posted

I had bloods done around 4 weeks ago and my cortisol was very high. That was at 8am. I was lucky that my GP was familiar with Cushings but still reckons I don't have it. Mostly because of the lack of a buffalo hump. So far i've been assumed to have a food intolerance and IBS both of which I know I don't have. It's so frustrating and so sick of being fobbed off.

Thanks Gill

• Posted

Totally agree with Gill.  It is easy to forget something you wanted to ask in all the medical things being thrown at you.  If they can rule out Cushings do be grateful it is not a nice thing.  The will have to find out exactly what is wrong with you. As I have said before my diagnosis was only made after I saw Doc Martin on TV and realised that excessive sweating and hairiness are symptoms too.  I had just thought they were personal problems.  Gill is right to advise to take a photo too.  People will only see you as you are now so they need a reminder that you were not always like that.  Good luck, let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Thanks guys. I'm on my way so fingers crossed I get some answers. I'll let you know!
  • Posted

Just back. It was the day medicine clinic. They gave me the steroid tablet which I will take Sunday night and inMonday morning AM for blood test. They told me the blood results would comfirm or rule out Cushings. Is this correct? Now I am worrying that if it is suppressed that all my other symptoms will be discarded sad

Natural born worrier but I'm at end of my tether.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.