Tramadol addiction and withdrawal.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im on day 3 of cold turkey after taking 8 x 50mg capsules a day for the best part of four years. Feel terrible but it does ease off a bit each day. I have come clean to my family about my addiction, spoken with my doctor and the weight has been lifted immensely. I just want to hear other people's stories and experience with coming off this drug. It's really daunting not knowing when I will feel like myself again. I've been taking these so long now that I've forgotten what it feels like to be myself and enjoy life without under the influence of tramadol.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So glad you spoke up about your struggles. Tramadol is probably the most misunderstood drug out there. And it happened to all of us accidentally.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! It's nice to be able to speak to people who have suffered the same because of this medication! Your information regarding alcohol was a real eye opener too! I was considering getting some whiskey to help but I'll steer clear of it all now. congratulations for coming off and staying off for so long. I can't speak for the long term struggle but I definitely know how bad it is at the start! Thank you for all your advice
    • Posted

I loved how I felt while taking it. I was pain free and so optimistic about my surgical recovery. But it became toxic to my system after 18 months. I began experiencing horrible symptoms only hours after my last dose. It scared me so much that I stopped taking it abruptly. I had lost a well needed 20 pounds while on it too. That part is what I miss most. Since coming off it, I've gained back ten of those pounds. I'd love to continue taking it just for the energy it provided and the sense of well being. I still even have most of my original prescription left, but the withdrawal was scarier to me than my weight gain, so I don't even consider it. That's how you stay off. NEVER FORGET your current HELL and you will be fine.
    • Posted

I started taking it after my hip got broken. I didn't realise how addictive they were. I started kidding myself that It was for the pain but it was just for how energetic and happy they made me feel! I started counting on them to enjoy days out with my family and have the energy to play with my son ( which I feel the most guilt about) it's impressive that you've still got some of your prescription left and have still managed to steer clear of them. I had to go to my doctor today and tell him he can't let me have these again. I just don't trust myself. But yes I will focus on the hell I'm feeling right now if I ever consider taking anymore. it's really good to talk with people who know how this feels.
  • Posted

you can do it.,  I took 800  mgs a day for several years --took me 3 months to get down to 0,   0 is a good number!,,,  it'll be very emotional and you'll have a bunch of side effects/  but you'll get past it --hang in thee
    • Posted

Thanks Richie! 0 is a great number and I'm happy that you have been able to do it because I know how hard it can be. Haha I do feel like an emotional wreck at times but I know it's all part of this stuff leaving my body...and for good! I felt so alone with tramadol problem until I come on here and good people like yourself shared their experience and support. So again thank you and congrats for beating it.
  • Posted

Congrats on 3 days, now almost 4! One day clean from that little devil pill deserves high praise because it's THAT hard to get off of. I was addicted too, for 6 years I took up to 30 a day (50mg). I even had a grand mal seizure once and that didn't even stop me! They had such a hold over my life it was horrifying. I quit cold turkey almost 3 months ago. That first week or two was hell I won't lie.. I practically lived in the bathtub lol but day by day things got better. I thought when I took them they made all my problems go away, I was outgoing and nice, but in reality I was MEAN and a lazy recluse. I never left my house, only cared about getting more pills. The physical symptoms diminished after a couple weeks, then I was left to deal with the mental battle since tramadol is not only like an opiate but an antidepressant as well, so coming clean was like a double whammy. But I knew what to expect so it made it more bearable. I knew that when my brain was screaming for more just to make the anxious thoughts go away, that it was just my mind and body trying to repair itself. I can say that 3 months ago I never thought I'd be free of that addiction, and now I don't even think about wanting one anymore. Everyone's recovery is different, but if you really want it and declare war against that nasty drug, it can be done successfully. I wish you nothing but luck, you can definitely do it, just have a little faith in yourself wink and know that what you're going through and feeling right now will NOT last forever, and you'll be ok! Any questions or anything to help you feel free to ask, I've been where you are and I know exactly what you're going through!
    • Posted

Hi Mel! First of all congratulations on kicking the tramadol beast in the teeth! I'm proud for you. It's funny but I thought I was outgoing and fun on them but I never realised until now that I was the opposite. Even when I was feeling my best on them I'd still want to stay home and just take tramadol all day. I thought it helped me cope socially but in fact, I wouldn't want to see any of my parents or relatives. I just thought that was how I felt WITHOUT the drug. Now I'm a little clearer I know that's not the case. The seizure must have been terrible but I must admit, I had read about the chances and I still took them and probably would have still if it happened to me. To not even be thinking about them is a real feat in itself and you must be very proud of yourself. It's day 4 today and I feel better than I have since I quit. I know I have a long road ahead but I know with my own willpower and with support from my family and people like yourself on here, I will come out smiling!! It's a rare sunny day here in England and I'm ready to go out and have an awesome day with my son but as MYSELF! Not under the influence of tramadol. Thr prospect of being totally free of it is exciting and tye responses on here are inspiring. Thank you so much for the support!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.