Root canal dosage help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having a retreat of a root canal I had before

I got Secondary adrenal insufficiency diagnosis.

I take 25 mg of HC per day for this issue. What dose should I take for a root canal? I do get nervous

before these procedures and any help would

be great. Thanks to the group.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

First of all, root canal treatment nowadays is not a big deal, The anaestethics are very much better than in the past. So lie back and think of Englandrolleyes

I think that there is something about this on the Pituitary Institute website, but whererever it was I got it before I had mine, this is the advice:

1. take double your normal dose at each of your normal times on the day. 

1a. if needed, adjust your medication timetable so as to ensure at least 30 minutes between taking your HC and starting the procedure, to give it a chance to kick in.

2 repeat #1 next day if you still feel poorly.

• Posted

I have Primary Addison's, diagnosed 1993. I just turned 60 last month.

I have had extensive dental work done, including three implants. All my teeth are capped except for the front six and the bottom six. I have had several root canals. All of the work I have mentioned is since I was diagnosed at the age of 36.

My rule of thumb is I take 20mg and more in my purse if aI need it. My mouth was open for over three hours for s double implant, I also had shin grafted on the gum from the roof of my mouth, That day I took a further 10 mg after I got home and went to bed for a nap. So that day I took an additional 30mg , which is double my daily dose.

Remember the important step is too take the twenty before the procedure along with your normal died of medication. The idea is too raise the cortisol level before the stressful situation.

For general info, since being diagnosed with Addison's I have had my Gall bladder removed, several endoscopes, stem cell surgery, several cosmetic surgeries and both knees replaced two years ago. Naturally I had the 100mg prior to surgery, but I have learned " top up matenance" of Hydrocortisone over the years.

• Posted

Thank you for replying.So,I take and extra

20 mg of HC 30 minutes before procedure

and then just double my dose for the day?

Since I take 15 mg in the am and 10 in the

Afternoon,would I take my normal dose

Of 15 mg at 7:30 am and then take and extra

20 at 10:00 thirty minutes before procedure?

Thank you

• Posted

Sorry if you were confused by my reply.

Keep to your regular dose daily. Take the additional 20mg an hour before procedure and if you feel weak or light headed an hour two after, take another 10mg.

Keep it in mind, if you opted to be put to sleep because you felt it was too tramatic for you, the dentist would have to give you a 100mg injection.

So don't worry! Remember it's the worry that eats of the cortisol. The Adrenals are the stress glands.

Ask the doctor to give you laughing gas! And have good time.

Really, I have had Addison's for 23 years and if your include the 18 months of decline it makes it nearly 25 years. I was diagnosed January 1993. Iwas about two months from death according to my blood tests and sooner if I would of caught a virus or needed surgery without it being detected.

I have a bone density scan every year in September.

I am now -2.0. On the scale. That is considered in the Osteopenia range. I'm explaining this because the real effects long term effects if over steroid consumption is bone decline. Mine is just under for my age. I'm 5'8 and weight 145.

So, in summary, if you fell ill, grab a pill.

Good luck, tell me how it goes.

By the way you men are such scaredy cats.

I have had several cosmetic surgeries, I even had a 7 hour face lift in 2001, no problem. If you want, need surgery, just be certain to keep everyone informed and have an experienced Anesthetist.

Take Care... You only live once.

• Posted

Thank you for your kindness. Yes, I'm a scaredy cat and I'm 53 years old. Ha! I have

SAI for 1 year now and just trying to learn.

Again, Thank you kind lady.

• Posted

I have been using Facebook now since June of 2015.

I us it differently than most. I found it is beneficial to find contacts that have the same interests along with family. Painting over the last year has become part of my life. It was incredible that over the lady 6 mo this I now have contacts from all over the world!

I am telling you this because I now realize

It would become important to include contacts

who have Addison's and other Autoimmune illness. I also had Graves Disease at 19 and had 90% of my thyroid removed.

Anyway if you are interested please enter my name and I will accept, if you are interested.

Oh no, I'll accept everyone called Greg. Lol

Darlene Ballantyne

( I have a cat sitting in a sink as my background photo)

• Posted

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sending you a friend request today on FB. Thanks

again, Greg.

• Posted

Hello Darlene. You have helped me in the past on the Patient

Website about root canals. I am hoping you offer advice again

Please. Yesterday, I went for a extraction of a tooth and the

Dentist midway decides he cannot remove tooth. I stressed

Dose just like for a root canal and got thru it. Now, they want

To send me to a Oral surgeon together this tooth out. Do I stressed

Dose the same as I did for root canal? I took my morning dose

Of 15 my and then took an extra 30 mg 1 hour before procedure.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Hope all is well,

Greg

• Posted

If it is not too late in the day, perhaps I can help. First things first, your body generates (or in our case, doesn't, which is why we have to replace it) cortisol in response to PHYSIOLOGICAL stress, not psychological stress. [So you wouldn't take an extra does because you had a bad day in the office].

So you are now going for surgery [mouth, foot, doesn't matter ;-)] so you follow the surgery rules:

(1) Make sure the surgeon knows your medical history from your steroid card, asap. Don't wait until you are in the chair!

(2a) if the work is being done under general (unlikely), 100mg injection 30 mins before going under. (2b) if under local (probably) then take an extra 30 mg before.

(3) take double your normal dose at your normal times for next 48 hours [longer if still in pain].

(4) Double doses again on the day you get the stitches out (no need to dose up extra beforehand),

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.