Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy-Suggestions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning,

My best friend is planning to have a double Mastectomy after her BC treatlment. They say they can not save the nipple. Would anyone be kind enought to share their personal experience that I can relay to her? She asked me to gather information so she can make the correct decision.

Also, does anyone have the tattoos? 

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Firstly l hope your friends Masctecomy goes as well as possible!  I had a mastectomy 6 years ago, but mine was before chemo and radiotherapy.

They seldom save the nipple, as there may be cancer cells there!

I had no problems with my mastectomy, l had already had a lumpectomy and node removal 4 weeks previous, so it was 'just' a matter or taking the breast off. Due to my 'not so good diagnosis' l decided against a reconstruction.  But after a year l couldn't get on with the prosthesis, so went for a diep, where they take the fat from your stomach and make a breast, unfortunately a few do fail, my was done by using the blood vessels, l was 'lucky' l had a nipple made a coupld of months later, where they pinch a bit of skin and stitch it.  A month or so later l had the tattoo, this was done twice, but probably needs doing again, but l am too old to worry!!  some just have the 3D tattoo, l have seen this and was very impressed. I had no trouble with the nipple l was awake when they did it, a 10 minute job!

There are facebook Breast cancer group, one of which l am admin.  A 'must'  is Breast Cancer Care, they have a truly amazing forum. They also have a breast care nurse online so your friend can speak to someone about her concerns.  Hope it goes well for her.

• Posted

Thank you VERYmuch for sharing your story. You are very brave and I admire you. I will pass along this very helpful information. Thank you again !
    • Posted

Unfortunately there is no 'brave' in cancer, you either have the treatment, or.....well the other option doesn't bear thinking about.

Hope you friend gets all the answers she needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.