Intense nerve pain with migraines days after root canal. NEED HELP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So i had a root canal procedure on my 2nd molar from the back (#14) 4 days ago, and ever since I've had INTENSE migraines and nerve pain on the same side of my face as the procedure. Migraines that last all day and even wake my up and make it difficult to do anything.  A few days before my procedure I was eating and I remember feeling a crack while chewing but no piece of tooth was found.  I had feared that I cracked my tooth deep.  So I then had the procudure done a few days later and have called my dentist to ask him if he would know what the pain was from and he says to me that its abnormal to be feeling this pain but I've looked all over the internet and seem to be finding a lot of the similar things happening to other people.  So far what I think is causing this constant terrible pain is either an abcessed root from post-procedure, a vertical fracture in the root, a cement leak through the tip of the root, or my doctor missed canals in the tooth. I'm having no swelling issues and my actual tooth feels little to no pain, a little discomfort, but nothing really painful, except for on one side of the tooth is rather sensitive to light tapping on it.  Does anyone have ANY help for me or some advice or past expriences that would be useful for me? Please I'm in some of the most uncomfortable, intense nerve pains I've ever experienced. Is this something common and will go away given a few more days? Did my dentist do a horrible job? Do I need to get it extracted? 

And mainly, are these symptoms common for a vertical root fracture or would these be more common symptoms for an abcessed/infected root?

And note that I have been taking clindimyicin and dentist just sent me a stript for flagyl. Because my dentist says that only an infection would cause this constant intense pain..

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU!!!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

First of all so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.  I do sympathise as it is only 4 weeks since I had these very symptoms and the pain was as bad, if not worse than actual toothache.  Now I had not had a root canal, filling or anything other than a deep clean with the hygienist at my dental surgery.  A few days later I was in intense pain around one of my teeth, an incisor.  I just wanted the dentist to take it out.  However dentist said nothing wrong with the tooth but said I had a severe gum infection around the base of that particular tooth.  I had not facial swelling but the gum area there was very red and inflamed.  Anyway dentist gave me antibiotics for 5 days.  I was also taking an antiflammatory and painkillers on top of this just to ease the pain and rinsing out regularly with warm salt water.  5 days later, still no change so went back to the dentist who gave me another course of antibiotics which eventually cured the problem.  The antiinflammatory and painkillers really helped ease the paih though and the salt rinse.  I do hope your pain eases soon.
  • Posted

Hello there

I had a root canal done on my back left tooth because I broke half of a good tooth with a walnut off a walnut whipp from the fridge in 2010!

Last year I had a root canal done, after having the tooth filled, that didn't work.

So the last result was a root canal.

I was relieved at the time when it was done!

But I have since had slot of grief with it.

It is very sensitive to touch and the dentist said all the nerves were taken out!

It took a long time anyway!

So I don't know really what to say to this..

But if it hurts too much then the only thing to do is have it taken out, and have a bridge out there. Or an implant..🙁Teeth eh, they are trouble to have and not to have ugh!

• Posted

Hi, I had a root canal treatment Friday on a front tooth that fell out because of trauma that killed the root, admittedly I did have a throbbing headache that morning but wanted to get the treatment done to get the tooth crowned in two weeks time, the headache eased a bit when I took painkillers after the procedure but has come back with a vengeance, I don't have any real toothache. Have other health issues like stage 3 kidney disease, pernicious anaemia and low ferritin levels which have all developed over the last few years, the pain scale of this headache is hitting 8 to 9. I've been on duloxetine for stress and joint pain now for about four months and have noticed headaches starting, trying to go down on them as I don't feel there helping the stress or joint pain, please could anyone advise me what to do, I'd really appreciate your feedback, thanks daphne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.