Spirometry test - x4 puffs of Ventalin- Is this normal procedure?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I recently went for a spirometry test with a not so nice Nurse. She asked me to blow hard into a tube  x3 times (best of three she said) while standing up. I found this very difficult and I couldnt blow half as hard as she had demonstrated (she clearly doesnt have breathing difficulties!).She kep saying blo harder- I coudlnt! a nd was getting very distressed. She then said I had to take x4 deep breaths of a ventalin inhaler, one after the other, to see what the difference between the tests was, even though she said my lung function was in fact normal at this point (??). As I was tired already by doing the blow into the tube test, I just couldnt muster the strength to take the Ventalin as quickly as this nasty nurse wanted me to and also didnt see the point since she said my lungs were normal(??). My sister had asthma but I never saw her take x4 puffs on her inhaler at once, only x2 - is that normal?? Something seemed a bit wrong to me as this ?Nurse was so rude. Hope someone can help. 

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My doctor waited for me, it was hard. I did not and would not anyway take 4 PUFFS OF THIS DRUG. I am so sorry you were upset, this nurse was very lucky not to have me as a patient as I do have a temper. Riduculous behaviour, needs reporting.
  • Posted

Four puffs? never had that. Two, yes, and I was allowed to sit down when I had dodgy legs, jjust shuffled forwards on the sea so my abdomen could expand as I took the deep breaths needed. It is silly for her to let you get distressed, as it reduces ones lung function. You had bad luck with this one!
  • Posted

Thanks Caroline and Jay for replying. I knew there was something dodgy about this ?Nurse. It amazes me people like that are in the profession hey.
  • Posted

Yes I have seen inhalers used more then they say. That is why you ask here cause we know more then ppl that dont

• Posted

Hi there sorry to hear you had a rough nurse, by the way please report her she was not doing her job properly.

I have had numerous spirometry tests and they do not give you 4 puffs of ventolin even with breathing difficulties they would give you a nebuliser if you couldnt do the test.

You do need to blow hard like that unfortunately that is what it is for, i have also had a lung function test which you breathe continuously until you have no more air in your lungs that one is harder than anything.

I would ask for the tests to be done again this time with another nurse if possible as you are not happy with the results of the first test, if you have breathing difficulties no way would the test come back as normal. (my opnion and i am not a medical professional)

• Posted

Thanks so much Dawn for replying. Without usiing expletives she was not a very nice lady at all. Thank you also for your encouragement to go back. Its been a few weeks so I am over the anger part of being treated so badly and possibly ready to go back and have another go- as you said, with an other Nurse. God bless you xx
    • Posted

Hi Scoobydoo65,

Your more than welcome and hope you get on better with another Nurse.

take care

• Posted

I guess it all depends on who is doing the spirometry.  I've had a number of spirometry tests over the past year and a half for occupational asthma , some for my doctors and some for the insurance doctors, everyone at different locations. The average was 4x puffs but had as little as 2x puffs when done by a hospital nurse to a maximum of 6x puffs, although I'm guessing the 6x puffs was to compensate for the 2 puffs I took about half hour earlier while being examined by the doctor.  Wouldn't worry about the amount of Ventolin you were given too much as there does not seem to be a standard amount, they give it to you to see if there is an improvement. Also getting distressed will just increase your asthma symptoms and likely counteract some of the effect of Ventolin so try to stay relaxed during the spirometry tests or the results will be inaccurate. Good luck.
  • Posted

I am a Resp Therapist of over 20 years and doing this testing for over 15+ so I can vouch for this test.

Sorry but unfortunatly you are all incorrect. As per required national standards this is 'required" for an accurate test.Albuterol at 4 puffs is not a normal dose yes, but you would have to take a "lot" of it to be too much. 

As for the difficulty of the test, that too is also part of the test. She is required to coach you to get accurate efforts.She should however talk to you to explain this to you. If the test was easy you did not do it correct.

Yes some people can not do it at all. It doesnot have anything to do with your lungs but the effort needed behind it. It is hard, but even people with horrible lungs can do the test and I have had some people with perfect lungs who could not do it. You can only do what your body will allow. SOme people can whistle some can not. Is it physically possible, no, but some still can not do it. Plain and simple.

As for her bedside manner, I was not there and can not judge for what I was not there for. We do have to push though to get out what is needed for accuracy. You would be suprised. There is more thier in your lungs than you feel and you "will not" feel it tward the end but I promise there is some there, just not a lot.

This is all a requirment for test accuracy, and you would not want a test that was not accurate, or what was the point of testing. As for the best of 3, no. You have to have at least 3 "consistant" efforts. SO if you did not get it in those 3 you have to do more. If you can not get them in the most 8 times then you must stop becuase not your results willnot be accurate because you have over worked yourself and they will not be accurate.

• Posted

I totally agree with you, I have COPD and have a spirometry test every 3-4 months and yes they are hard to do, in fact at the end of my tests I am sweating, coughing, nose running, eyes streaming... but at least I know I am getting/giving a true reading! Now I have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea, it explains why I feel so weary afterwards sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.