Post-nasal drip

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hope someone here can advise me. I have post-nasal drip, and I wake up every morning with this disgusting gunk at the back of my throat.

This has been going on for three years at least. My doctor gave me a nasal spray which didn't help. Does anyone here know of other ways of eliminating this - either natural ways or with aa different nasal spray? Thanks.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, my son suffered this along with fungus and nasal polyps. After years of trying everything, he uses a nasal bottle rinse, not spray, to clean.(NeilMed Sinus Rinse Regular Kit) Now to get to the bottom of what's causing this is harder.  He takes probiotics and L-Glutimine powder. This worked for him, good luck.  
  • Posted

I second. Candice. It works great for me. I had a polyp removed in Dec and everything is good for me so far. I've been dealing with nasal polyps for 40 years. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Anne. Good when two people agree about treatment!
    • Posted

I must make it three people agreeing. I had a nasal polyp which caused me to have chronic sinus infections, I had the polyp removed and now do the neilmed sinus rinses at least daily...I also have allergies and it helps them too.

I hope this works for you also!!

• Posted

I also use Neil Med nasal wash. It is very good. ENT gave me useless nasal sprays which don't help at all. In fact he was a disaster. I am also going deaf and he totally ignored this, just shrugging it off. I have also read somewhere that hot water with lemon and black pepper is good for post nasal drip, but haven't tried it yet. I don't have polyps but nasty scabs up my nose and one side is always blocked, yet when I sleep it goes through to the other nostril, so I end up with little sleep and turning this way and that, as I can't stand the pressure build up and end up with a headache. Don't know if the lemon and pepper inhalation is good for me as I have COPD and have a job breathin in steam with towel over my head, but it may help others.
  • Posted

I also use Neil Med nasal wash. It is very good. ENT gave me useless nasal sprays which don't help at all. In fact he was a disaster. I am also going deaf and he totally ignored this, just shrugging it off. I have also read somewhere that hot water with lemon and black pepper is good for post nasal drip, but haven't tried it yet. I don't have polyps but nasty scabs up my nose and one side is always blocked, yet when I sleep it goes through to the other nostril, so I end up with little sleep and turning this way and that, as I can't stand the pressure build up and end up with a headache. Don't know if the lemon and pepper inhalation is good for me as I have COPD and have a job breathin in steam with towel over my head, but it may help others.

Tess, do you live in the UK? It is not available of presription, but my GP recommended it, although it is expensive. However, it is worth it.

• Posted

Yes, I live in London. I'll ask my GP for aa prescription. Thanks.xx
    • Posted

Sorry, read that wrong!  OK, I'll buy some!!
    • Posted

Tess, it isn't available on prescription in London and is quite expensive, but it is worth it, My GP is excellent, and he told me about it, whereas the hospital ENT was absolutely useless! Gave me some useless nasal drops and no advice on my increasing deafness..didn't even check my ears. Complete waste of time. I am having serious vertigo because my tinnitus goes from one ear to the other and throws me off balance. I have had two falls lately, one in the doctors the other day. With all the trouble that caused, in a packed surgery, there was only time to sort out a few other issues. Am now booked in for a ultrasound on my heart.

Take care and I hope you get on with the nasal wash, kind regards, Val.

• Posted

Lol...sorry, I missed your last post. Here I am at 3 am and still on the computer! Must get some sleep!
    • Posted

Do all pharmacies stock it or did you have to ask them to get it for you specially? Also, how expensive is 'expensive'?

Yeah, I've been down the ENT route - nasal spray - did nothing.

• Posted

Yes, in the UK...The starter pack is £20 including the bottle and quite a few sachets  and the boxes of sachets are about £10 plus depending where you buy it. I think they also sell them in the States, as an aquaintence of mine who I met on this site and we swapped emails, she lives in Alabama and has mentioned the Neti Pot made by Neil Med, not suitable for me because of COPD and don't tolerate steam well. Other countries, I have't a clue. Also another of my contacts from this site (also exchaned email) and lives in Canada. May I ask if you live in the UK? or elsewhere?
    • Posted

I live in the UK, and I've just ordered the started kit plus sixty sachets for £13.05

Can't wait to start trying it out!

Thanks from Tess

• Posted

Forgot to say, ordered from amazon.
    • Posted

Glad you ordered it and hope it works for you. Down my youngest son by the sea for a week and I feel better already, Sea breeze is good for my COPD and nazal problems, as I live in East End of London with high polution. 

Regards, Val.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.