Haven't walked for 2 years after Lumbar Puncture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all! Hope you're well! smile My story...

I went into hospital July 2014 with many symptoms and I was eventually diagnosed with a brain tumour, but they wanted to perform a lumbar puncture to rule out any other illnesses and certain types of tumours. The first one was done on the 10th July in Walton. I am almost certain that it was a Junior Doctor who carried out the test - alone without any kind of consent from me (I found out he was a Jnr afterwards) and also made me sign the waiver before allowing me to take the Diazepam that I was given because I was terrified of needles. I overheard a few days later that it takes at least 90 minutes to kick in but he made me take it and literally started the test straight after that. No more than 5 minutes and he was in my back and I was screaming the ward down (Now I know that this pain was ridiculously bad compared to the one I had the following day from a Senior, it was even worse than brain surgery!) 3 attempts and 25 minutes later, he had to give up because he couldn't get the fluid and I was all screamed out. I was in a ridiculous amount of pain and didn't go anywhere that day, I was already admitted to a ward before this so I just stayed in the bed all day. I had another the next day from a Senior and he was in and out in under 5 minutes, no pain whatsoever. This is when I realised that the first one was not normal.

2 days after the first LP, I went to get up to go for a shower when the lady on the bed across from mine asked me why I was "walking funny". I hadn't noticed, but every few steps my knees were buckling underneath me like "jelly legs". Everyone said I walked like Mr Soft from the Softmints advert (and after watching it, I agree haha!) but the Doctors said I'd be fine in "2 days". 2 days later and it was just getting worse and more frequent, and they said "you'll be fine in 3 more days". It was going down, fast and in the end, underneath every single step I took was my knee buckling underneath me. This went on and on until the point where they wanted to discharge me but a physiotherapist had to come up and agree with them, but he told them that he wasn't happy that I "walked into the hospital but leaving in a wheelchair". The Dr didn't care and sent me home anyway. 

They had refused to give me a wheelchair from there so I asked who do I ask for one then because I couldn't walk around, falling and stumbling when I went out with friends or food shopping...

Their answer to me?

"I don't know, try an old charity shop or boot sale or something"

Now that - is horrific.

Over the next month I was in and out of hospital every few days and Walton is quite a way from my usual home of Anglesey, North Wales so it was difficult with my family having to come up and see me at 19 years old losing her walking and struck ill with a brain tumour. 

In the middle of August, I went to wobble my way into my gran's house when I fell to the floor. I tried getting back up but I couldn't. From that day onwards I never walked again. They tried full leg plaster casts from my toes to the very top of my thighs, but my knees still dropped.

I feel extremely lucky to be on my 1st "brainaversary" this month, officially one year out of my brain surgery in Australia and also that I am able to get around on my knees by crawling and I'm lucky I have always been flexible because I can get around easier. I thank my lucky stars that I can still do things for myself, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me. I see my neurologist and doctors every couple of months but they are no closer to giving me a diagnosis, but Drs in America, Australia and Cardiff have ALL said IT'S BECAUSE OF YOUR LUMBAR PUNCTURE.

So I would love to know your stories if you'd be willing to share! Or any tips or thoughts, I would greatly appreciate smile

Beth x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi beth,

how are you now? can you walk now?  I would like to tell you that my mom had a Lumbar puncture and after that test its been a month and she cant get up yet. but now she can move better but cannot get up yet . Iam worried that she will not get up anymore. 

Lody Burkett

• Posted

Hi Lody! 

I still can't walk no and still 2 years later I still haven't had any diagnosis and in my consultation 2 days ago they said that it was "easier for them if I come to terms with the fact that I'll never get a diagnosis" so maybe it will have to be persued.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, how is she doing? Can she bare weight at all? x

• Posted

hi  beth,

its me again , i forgot to ask you if the they x-ray your spine after lumbar puncture if your spine was ok.

lody burkett

• Posted

hi beth,

shes now have a physical theraphy at the rehab. but they never x ray or do an mri on your spine if everythings is ok? cuz they do an mri or x ray to my mom spine and they said the result was ok.

• Posted

Can she walk now? Yeah I had an MRI on my spine on the 3T machine with contrast but apparently it showed nothing, but I think they would say that either way because of course they would cover it up over here in the UK. Are you UK based too? smile x

• Posted

Im here in california, USA.  she cant walk yet and cant get up on her own yet. but when I get her 2 arms and pull her while lying in bed, she is able to lift her back.  if she will be able to get up and cant walk after a long month, I will probably sue them.
    • Posted

Ahh I see. Is she able to put any of her weight through her legs? Well my partner takes care of me at home as I'm fully wheelchair dependent, but thankfully because I'm still only 21 I am quite able and nimble. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.