Damaged Lunula- Please Help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

http://imgur.com/jcZAXGH

Hellllp

Sorry for the "gore" I just really need help and can't find answers anywhere else. I've tried everywhere I can think of. Lets jump into how exactly this began: I very recently got sucked into the world of nail art and nails because of youtube. I decided that gel polish was my best bet if I wanted something what would stay longer than a day. Now after doing much research I realized that I would need to have a smooth, buffed surface before I applied the gel polish. So I went ham on my nails with my regular revlon file (mistake number one, grit was waaaay too rough). So, I get to this specific nail and I have some crazy bumps at the lunula area. I realize they are too difficult to get at with the file so I get my metal cuticle pusher thinking that it was all just dead skin that was like... piled up there. So I push it all back and some of it lifts up. Ok awesome just going to use my nifty little cuticle scissors and cut that bad boy off. BAD IDEA. I realize what I've done only after I see the blood. This is the after-math. Please can someone who knows more than me tell me how to protect this? Will it ever grow back? should I put a false nail over it just to keep it from becoming more damaged? I just spent nearly $200 on nail art supplies and now I'm afraid to do anything with my nails at all. Please help. I've looked all over google and there is nothing about this specific type of nail injury. I'd go to a doctor but I don't have insurance. (YEY god bless the usa!) Thank you for any and all information you can share.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear.  You have been too enthusiastic with the nail treatment. As long as there is no redness or swelling or pain and there is no infection,please just leave alone but keep very clean for a couple of weeks. You will see it recover slowly. Leave off false nails and polish until that improvement happens.

Never dig deeply around a nail. Thats the quickest way to introduce infection. All metal manicure tools should be sterilised in boiling water . .

• Posted

Thank you so much. I have been very vigilant in keeping it clean and protected. I also cover it with bandaids when doing house chores along with wearing gloves. In your opinion should I keep it covered at all times or just leave it to the air? I've noticed already an improvement. I don't see actual hardened nail growth just yet but it does seem to have a protective layer of skin growing over it. I hope that's a good sign. Again thank you so much for your response it wax so hard to find any information on injuries like this anywhere.

• Posted

You are doing all the right things but when you dont need protection leave off the band aids and let it dry. For example when you are asleep at night you certainly dont need anything on it. Keeping skin covered with band aid can sometimes make it too moist...an ideal breeding ground for fungal infections,which love a damaged nail.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.