Carpal Tunnel and decor veins surgery something isn't right!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anyone please tell me this is normal, had carpal tunnel and decor veins surgery a month ago. Swelling has not gone down. Lost most of my use with my dominant hand in so much pain. I am only 39 and am scared to death. Was told I would feel like new in a few days, it is even worse now. Feels like my hand is constantly on fire and it is traveling into my shoulder. Can't bend wrist can't work running out of FMLA now I am hearing might have to have a second surgery. I'm going to be okay, right? I am so tired and this hurts so very bad. Please someone let me know if this has happened to them and they are okay now.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Had the same issues after carpal tunnel surgery.  Hand on fire, sensitive to anything touching it, hurts whenever I move it.  I had my surgery 6 months ago and first 4 months were completely miserable. In my case it was nerve damage.  My surgeon wouldn't admit it so went to two others before a diagnosis.  He put me on gabapentin. It took a month for it to take effect but it has reduced the pain alot.  Bad news is I was told the nerve pain could last for up to year or more.  I have tried to quit taking it a few times but within a few days the nerve pain comes back so I am just going to stay on it.  Percocet helps too but you don't want to go that route on a regular basis.  Most don't have this outcome but apparently it does happen.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. Did you have the decor veins surgery as well? They did two procedures on me at the same time. What about the swelling? Did your swelling go down? I think I can handle the fire feeling but my hand/wrist and arm swell so bad I am unable to bend my wrist at all. I feel like if we could get that under control I would be able to use my hand. Did your swelling decrease? How long did that take? Thank you for writing back I am so scared right now. Have another appointment with my surgeon tomorrow. My PT think a second surgery to remove scar tissue is coming and was told it is more complicated than this one. None of it makes sense surgery for having surgery? If they go in again wouldn't the scar tissue just build back up? Thank you again for your input.

• Posted

I had two surgeries at the same time too.  Carpal tunnel and thumb joint replacement.. My surgeon said i was in pain because of scar tissue too but my pain started immediately after the surgery so it's not possible scar tissue had built up that much in that short a time.  My hand felt like it was on fire, shooting pain, horrible wrist pain, I had my cast removed twice thinking it was put on wrong.  It was intolerable.  The only time it didn't hurt was at night when I kept my hand completely still.   If your PT said a second surgery is needed, I wouldn't give it much creedence.  Therapists don't know.  Yes my swelling went down but it took several weeks before my hand was the same size as the other one  again. My family doctor finally rescued me and put me on Gabapentin.  He said my pain was "sensory", nerve pain. Had nothing to do with scar tissue. My experience was so bad I would never have another surgery.. I know most of these procedures don't end up that way and since you are only into it a month it could get better on its own.  Is your hand having temperature problems as well?  sweating/cold along with the swelling and does it feel and look like it's not part of your body? If so that sounds like complex regional pain and it would be important to get enough pain relief so you can use the hand normally as soon as possible so your brain doesn't get used to the current situation.

• Posted

It isn't the hand that is my main problem. Yes it swells and is really hot temperature wise a lot. It is my wrist. I can't bend it at all. That is the most swollen part. It looks broken and it isn't. I am going in for three beeve blocks through my neck starting on the 16th. I can't get straight answers from ANYONE. I was told to educate myself of CRPS so I did. I am supposed to be seeing a neurologist for a proper diagnosis but none in my area will see me, won't even touch it. I am thinking about going to my family doctor as well I have no clue what to do other than get these nerve blocks, for something I am not 100 percent sure I have. I talked to someone else who had the Decoir Veins surgery. She is having the same issues. She found out something was don't to her tendon and it is almost snapping or reversing flopping I guess is a lame term for it, this happens anytime she tried to move her wrist. I am getting the same popping sounds as well anytime I attempt to move my wrist. I am making 0 progress in PT. told me yesterday, well the swelling isn't as bad my reply is because I am not using it except for in here. Anything I try to do at home it swells up something fierce and at the end of my Pt week it unbearable on the weekend. I am starting to feel doomed. Ran out of short term my company extended my leave without pay to be nice but I am not getting any answers on how long this will take to repair if it even will. Starting to feel like I have to just except this for what it is and try to move on. I think I would be okay if it didn't hurt so damn bad. Gonna try my MD. Feels like the only doctor I can trust. Here is to hoping. You are right, I would NEVER do this again. They were trying to get me to do my left hand. What a joke. I was not warned about any of this. Just possible nerve damage. Not the fact I have lost almost all function in my hand and wrist. Very frustrating but I am still keeping on. I hope you are doing better. Thanks for talking to me. It has been almost 3 mo tha for me now. Here is to hoping

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.