Hi there....MD sufferer.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, Last year I was diagnosed with menieres disease, after having several major attacks, one of which I ended up in A and E. Nhs were useless though, told me it was labyrinthitis and it was only when I had been off work months, I came across a private ENT doctor and they did all the tests. I have bilateral vestibulopathy, BPPV in my right ear and Menieres in my left. My BPPV is under control at the moment, and my menieres is being somewhat controlled by a very high dose of betahistine and a very low salt diet, however I do still have attacks, one of which I am in the middle of right now. Started 6 days ago, when I felt a fluid running in my left ear then got the sweats, hearing loss in left ear, then the vertigo and nausea. Been on and off like that for the last week. I think the beta does help and I do watch my salt avidly, but have also been offered the injections at a cost, seeing as its private.

Very very scary disease, not knowing what each day is going to be like, have been on and off work for the last year, don't know how I am still employed. Wanted to meet similar people in my situation. Doesn't help I also have a phobia of vertigo, so it is kind of like double trouble.

Anyway, hi and hope I can get to know some of you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I know this is a  very debilitating condition ..... But this is not that uncommon a  condition. I am a clinical audiologist myself , which means I do get to see many patients with this condition. Over the years I have realiased that Minears support group gives the individual and family effected by this condition lot of support and tips to manage the condition. Pl dont feel alone... I suggest u get in touch with a  group .. this will be helpful. Also if u have  a diagnosed hearing loss rectify it as well.....

Hope my comments were of some help

• Posted

Hi anne, sad for you that you are in the middle of a very active phase. My advice is to avoid alcohol and avoid noisy places, you nay have found you have increased sensitivity to noises? Please read/download book by Meniere Man, he has written a few, and they have great advice for 'self help'. Helps explain what is going on in your affected ear and why you get the symptoms you get. From my experience if you have a vertigo spin this has caused damage in the ear and a dew more spins will follow until the damage heals itself in your ear. Bit like a wound takes time to heal. Keep taking the betahistine, I am on 32mg x3 times a day and have had no spins since sept 2014. I did have a grommet fitted under general anaesthetic and 2 months later had a steroid injection of dextramethasone into the ear. No spins since. However, I know I have menieres, the medication does a good job of masking it so it is copable. I can drive and I can work, quiet office so fingers crossed I hope this can continue. Log your spins and your symptoms. I do believe because I kept a diary of them and could tell the Ent that id had 25 spins, longest was 5hrs.. that I got the grommet. Good luck, keep us posted. You will have to adapt your lifestyle a bit and just know that the phase you're in now won't last forever.

• Posted

You do not say what dose of betahistine you are on. You would probably benefit from increasing the dose. I was put on 48mg tds when 16mg tds did not work and advised that if necessary the dose could be raised a lot more. Fortunately that has not been necessary and I am in remission.

The leading research expert on this condition and drug is Prof Michael Strupp in Munich. Look him up on Google.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I have hearing loss when I have an attack and then the hearing gradually comes back, although I have never had great hearing. And I am on 32g serc three times a day. Thanks for your replies.
  • Posted

You are definitly having a rough go of it. I was forced to retire because of mine and my sympoms were nowhere near as bad as yours. I am wondering if taking dyazide may help you more that betahist. Betahist is not available here in the states. By the time I got to an ENT I had minimal hearing in my left ear. My hearing was back within the week. I still have a sensitivity to certain noises and prolonged noise exposure will set off a migraine and my balance stinks but things are better. I hope you are able to learn to control the phobia and that things start getting better for you.
  • Posted

Hi anne54405,

Welcome. You explain exactly the way I do og MD.

It's debilitating and yes a phobia comes along with it.

Never know when the attacks will occur.

I've been "attack free" for almost 3 weeks now. And decided I'd try driving again after 6 months of being driven around like "driving miss daisy"!

Eventually, the attacks should ease up, the tinnitus in your ear won't be as annoying.

I will say that I believe the dyazide (diuretic ) has helped with a low salt diet.

Hoping for another 6 yr break.

Good luck! It's only those of us that suffer from this that really understand .

• Posted

Welcome and sadly there are many of us out here. I can only share what I have done to ease my symptoms. 1. I stopped ALL artificial sweeteners. My research showed a link between MD and asperteme so I stopped all of it. I was a gum-chewer (American, you know....) and occassionally put sweetener in my coffee. 2. Added tissues salts and B vitamins to my already-substantial daily supplements. 3. Head, neck and shoulder massages once a week. 4. Low Salt. 5. I wear earplugs pretty regularly. Angela mentioned staying away from noisy areas and, speaking for myself, noise is a HUGE trigger. I use sewing machines in my job a lot and wear headphones. My students think I am just listeining to NPR! 6. I work out every day so I sweat and keep my body fluids moving. I also dance which helps the vertigo. 7. I use a homeopathic ear drop once a week called Ear Ring.  

I have no idea if one or all of these things helped but I went from nearly constant attacks to one every couple months. And they are SO much milder; barely a nuisance at this point.  There is a ton of good advice on this site. I have learned a lot. So keep reading, make as many healthy life-style changes as you can, keep a journal so you can notice triggers and hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.