I have been on 'Betmiga' medication for urinary incontinence.

Posted , 4 users are following.

The health professional originally recommended 50mg daily. But since I often have severe reactions to alot of drugs - I asked if I could start on 25mg. I was surprised that I didn't have any unpleasant side effects and it was only after taking it for 3 weeks that I began to feel the benefits. 

The drug cost the same (exorbitant 48) for a month suppply of the 50mg and the 25mg. So when it came to getting this month-supply, I thought, and my chemist agreed, there could be no harm in buying the 50mg and cutting it in half. By the second day - I realised why the package says "Swallow whole. Do not chew or crush."

The covering on the outside must not be broken - otherwise the 'slow release' is broken!  Oh, dear I have a terrible Cystitis. Back on the 25mg a day!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louiseccal

Well spotted, but you are right it is costly isn't it! I wonder have you  thought about pelvic floor exercises for your OAB? By uisng certain proogrammes NMES (neuromuscular electrical stimulation) can help you relax the bladder to stop the overactivity, but also, if your OAD is as a reult of a weak pelvic floor, the medication is not helping that. By strengthening the muscles here you can help to prevent further deterioration including prolpase which is running at record high levels of 1:2 women aged 50 years. 

I hope this helps, I am pleased the medication has started to kick in for you, but I wanted to mention that you would be better looking at treating the problem not just the symptoms. All the best.

S

• Posted

I tried physiotherapy for Stress incontinence and over active bladder for 6 months - with daily pelvic floor excercises. No real improvement. Then the

electrical stimulation business from last Oct to Feb. So this is where I'm at now. I was not expecting much help from medication - but feel I will give Betmiga at least 6 months. 25gm seems to be okay. No unpleasant side effect until today when , as I said  I made a big mistake - cut the wretched 50mg thing in half. Most unwell - dreadful cystitis. Hopefully this will settle in a few days.

Are you a prefessional? or working for NMES company?

• Posted

Hi Louise, 

Yes I do work for a NMES company, and we really struggle to get our message across to GPs. We dont have the deep pockets of the drug companies and can't compete on this level, but the improvements and cinical advances in pelvic health and continence is really quite refreshing. Thank goodness for the internet giving woman and men a forum and the ability for us to share ideas and things that can make a positive improvement.

As our population ages we will find this has increasing importance because incontinence problems is listed as the second most common reason women are admitted into care homes. This is why I feel so passionately about treating the cause, rater than meds that sometimes just address the symptoms.

We are all different I know, and it is great that you are trying different ways to tackle your symptoms and I wish you continued success  and a timely warning of course for us all 'read the label'!

Good luck Louise, let us know how you progress please as it will help other women just like you searching for solutions.These problems are usually taboo - but we need to rise above that and share our experiences.

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.