I'm extremely worried

Posted , 2 users are following.

So about a week and a half ago I felt thus lump in the side of my throat. It went on to just be a sore throat. But then a couple of days later I got this feeling in my chest. It wasn't pain or anything. I went to the doctor and they felt my throat and checked my heart rates and breathing and said their is nothing wrong. They just told me to gargle salt water. But the feeling has only gone away a little and I only feel it a little on the right side of my chest. I'm extremely worried that I might have a this type of cancer or anorher type of cancer. I've never had any pain when swallowing or anything, but I don't know if its just too early for that right now. I forgot to mention that I'm a 16 year old male who the only medical thing he has ever been diagnosed with was strep throat like 6 years ago. Cancer doesn't really run in my family but I don't really want to be one of the rare ones. I'm feeling a little tired but the doctor said it was probably due to anxiety because i do worry and fret about a lot of things and i do stress out a lot. I've read that this cancer doesn't show any symptoms until later stages and I really don't want to die. I want to live my life and try to do good things in the world. I thought I could have something wrong with my thyroid at first but my doctor didn't seem to worried about it. (By the way the first time I went was because of a panic attack because I was so worried). The only thing that isn't in my favor is the fact that I am a male and it is more common in us. I'm just petrified that I will end up having something seriously wrong with me. Can someone help me find out what's wrong and ease my fears? I'm just so terrified right now. I'm going to a different doctor tomorrow to get a second opinion Sorry for the long and troublesome post. I just really want someone to help me lose my fears. Many thanks to anyone who replies.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think the doctor's advice about gargling was very sensible, and it does seem to have had some effect.   The tension created by anxiety does not help things, but I know you cannot help worrying.   I think I would try to try some soothing throat mixture in case you just have the after-effects of a septic throat, which can be very nasty, and keep drinking water.   If you can, try and adopt some relaxation exercises.

?I think you are fortunate that your doctor is examining you and coming to a sensible conclusion, and that your doctor is not dismissing your fears because of your age.  You are right that having oesophageal cancer at your age is very rare indeed statistically.  

• Posted

Thank you. I went back to the doctor and they actually diagnosed me with thrush and drainage. She look at my tongue and saw it was completely white! Apparently I have had it so long that it has caused me to have heavy breathing and they said that it probably has to do with my fatigue. I do also have to mention that the air conditioning at my house it out currently. I've been given a liquid antibiotic to help cure it, but also I'm going to go on a strict fruits/vegetables/water diet. I felt stupid for worrying. I have to admit that I tend to look up symptoms and automatically fear the worst. I still wonder sometimes but I've got to learn to trust my doctor. I have yo ask if you think there is anything else wrong with me? I feel much better anxiety wise but I want to ask you what do recommend relaxation wise? Sorry again for the lengthy post. Any further replies would be great. Many thanks.

• Posted

I believe that some people who have thrush find it helpful to cut out all dairy foods, sugar (important).   Some things like melon, grapes and mushrooms harbour mould very easily.  

Citric acid can help.

​As for relaxation regimes, I suggest you look around locally (eg library).  Some people like yoga, but find something that you yourself like the look of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.