I have painful bumps on my scalp, any suggestions on what I can do

Posted , 2 users are following.

For a number of years I have suffered from painful bumps on my scalp that come and go, hurt like mad, then after a fews days, go, only to return.

I have looked into my diet and changed shampoo alas to no avail. My GP has perscribed scalp application, but sadly the bumps return sad

Any help would be much appreciated!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hrm. Have you considered an allergy? There are some substances that are common in body products which are frequent allergy culprits (such as sodium Laurel sulfate, phosphates, botanicals, perfumes, dyes...). You might want to try a seriously hypoallergenic shampoo like Cleure, see if it goes away.. alternatively, you can keep your own shampoo, conditioner on your skin (such as inner forearm) for 3 days and see if there is a site reaction. You are looking for redness, bumps, blisters, welts. Anything that reminds that way is a contact allergy and should be avoided. Good luck!!! Jen
    • Posted

Hi Jen.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I will certainly try the hypoallergenic shampoo as well as the skin test.

At last something positive.

All the best. Pat

• Posted

Oh and... test any other hair products too. Gels, sprays, oil treatments, hair color... everything.
    • Posted

I do go the hairdressers quite regular and I have a very good stylist. Maybe she will be able to help me.

Thank you Jen, you have been very helpful.

Pat

• Posted

Hello Jen.

I hope you are well.

I thought I would let you know where I am after our disscussion on my problem scalp. I have tried and tested everything I have used on my scalp.  (inna arm area as you recorrmended) and all is negative. Surprisingly the only  Hypoallergenic shampoo I can purchase here in Guernsey CI is called Hair, (sadly can't buy Cleure here or UK) I used Hair alternate days for over two weeks and today the bumps are back with a vengence.

I was perscribed Betnovate scalp application 4 years ago which relieves the symptons only. My GP told me not to use the stuff all the time,. What does one do in the meantime.

I'm thinking maybe it's diet, well, I am Gluten, Wheat, Milk Fish and Mushroom intolerant and stick to a strict diet. I also avoid sugar as much as possible. I also drink a homemade probiotic Kefir.

I'm running out of suggestions

Kind regards

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.