hrt and weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Hrt for just 7 months. I have gained 2-3 stones. On my last visit to the doc I was informed that Hrt (all of it including patches) are steroids!!!!!! Therefore the catalyst for weight gain. I recently had a bone scan that showed I have osteopenia in my spin! Rock and hard place comes to mind. I have made a conscious decision to come off Hrt, take calcium and do lots of weight bearing exercise and cut down my insatiable appetite, which is very much like being pregnant when I hit the oestrogen part of the month. Eating crap and whilst eating it , I am thinking about what I can eat next! If anyone is interested , I will report back in a months time to see if there has been any positive progress!😔

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I suggest you do more search of official research on hrt, in particular oestradiol (which includes patches).  It is known to help get rid of that menopausal spread.  Drs have biases which are not in their patients' best interests.

Natural oestrogen is a steroid too, as are all hormones.  They are not anabolic steriods which is what most of us think of when the word steroid is used.

I have found eliminating sugars and starches from my diet and including protein in all meals and snacks gets rid of the hunger.  It takes a while to get that addiction out of the system, so grab a piece of protein when ever you feel hungry and it will go away.

• Posted

Apologies Sheryl for not replying sooner but my colleagues at the clinic where I work as a practice nurse have been trawling the internet medical journals and the latest nhs guidelines on hormone replacement therapy.... We've even went back to text book biology and NOWHERE can we find reference to natural hormones found in the human body being steroids!!!!!!.... We did however find, as we were all aware, steroids, anabolic or otherwise are man made!... It would have been good "info" Maria if it had factual information. Many thanks for the entertainment though!

• Posted

Thanks for that. I've been on HRT patches for just over 3 months and I've not put on weight however I'm always hungry!

• Posted

You know, when I was typing that, I was thinking, I hope I got that right, because it was new info for me too.  I had come across it in Wikipedia when I was looking for something else.  So I have just googled 'Wikipedia Steroids' and it seems to confirm what I said.

It also says that cholesterol is also a steroid, and I have also read that cholesterol is the precursor to Vit D, and to pregnenolone, which the precursor to DHEA, then progesterone, then oestrogen and testosterone.  (This latter info is not in the article about Steroids).

It says steroids are also found in animals, plants, fungi, etc.

Please read it and let us know what you get out of it.

• Posted

Actually, that Wikipedia article does describe the hormone pathway from the steroid cholesterol.

I also followed up on "Steroid Hormones" on Wikipedia which confirms the first article referred to above - who am I to argue with the learned people who report on Wikipedia!  Which I am not, BTW.

• Posted

Hi I have been on combined HRT for just over a year now and I have gained just over a stone in weight which for me is a huge amount, not normal for me at all. I just eat the whole time!! I asked my doc to try to come off HER but she said oh no, she did reduce the dose but I'm still eating and

the weight keeps going on!! I do alot of walking and just recently started

jogging but I'm not sure it will help!!

I'm heading back to my doctor to come off HER which I was put on to

help anxiety but this weight ain is making me feel worse and I feel tired and sluggish.

Whats happening with you Anna?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.