In another round of the shingles.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I came across this forum and have been reading what others are going through with the shingles. I contracted scarlet fever as a young child, had a severe case of the chicken pox, now trying to understand the shingles virus at age 49. This is my 3rd time go-around. The first began last year as small red rash sores in my scalp and some blistering on my ears, neck and eyes. Severe aching and neck pain followed long after the rash was gone. I was in denial the second time it happened and now the third time's a charm! It has come full force and far worse with larger blisters and severe pain. Nursing a plantar fasciitis in my left foot and now this, really taking a toll on the nerves. I'm not a pill pusher, only take Synthroid for my thyroid. I do essential oils and coconut oils every night after showering to help relieve the shingles pain. I'm looking for any other pain relief advice as I have pretty much given up on doctors. They are all ready to write out prescriptions and send you out the door with good well wishes. I love the essential oils and am still working with 3 close friends who are all on board helping me to balance out the hot flashes, thyroid, and now the shingles. Even though I have yet to come across one that actually helps for the shingles I have seen improvement in the few I have tried to relieve headaches, muscle soreness, dizziness, eye problems. Coloidal silver has also helped my eyes, throat, and ears. The gel form heals the blisters and cools also. I am very sympathetic with those who are hurting so much they feel depressed and tired from trial and error. I am determined to keep looking and trying, hope this has helped and looking for any other advice also you may have? I also use the TENS to relieve pain. What works for some may not work for all but it's worth a try.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Kim. I treated my shingles rash with a zinc and castor oil cream. Then when the rash healed I found a very effective that counteracts the virus and dramatically reduces the need for pain relievers. 

This treatment was 250 grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream, two 5 gram tubes of Aciclovir Cream and 65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel.

Mix thoroughly, apply sparingly to the affected area , as required for pain relief. Initially, I also needed Ibuprofen tablets for pain relief, but after a couple of months I found the topical treatment twice daily to be sufficient.

Also, I found a spare tube of Aciclovir Cream essential in treating strange shingles eruptions. These disappear in about two weeks if treated twice daily.

I hope you find these treatments useful.

Regards, Ray.

• Posted

Thank you for that complete response, Ray. Do you find these creams, that you mentioned, over the counter and at any retail store or pharmacy?

I noticed that when my arthritis acts up and my shoulder, which is sorely affected by a fall I had, the shingles become much more painful last 2 days. Seems every time stress from pain brings it on. Does anyone else have that problem. I have a very loving husband and wonderful children who all come home to help when needed so that is definitely not my stress. Mine comes from plantar fasciitis in my foot and my sore shoulder.

• Posted

Kim. The best outlet for these items is the discount chemist, but they are also available at many supermarkets.

Cost at the discount chemist is $16 for 250 grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream, $7 per 5 gram tube of Aciclovir Cream, and $6 per 100 gram tube of Dencorub Heat Gel. When used sparingly this quantity lasts for 2 to 4 months.

Best of luck in your search for a successful treatment.

Regards, Ray.

• Posted

HI Kimmy, I just joined this forum myself and felt a sense of relief that I wasn't alone. I've been looking for some sort of support group since I first was diagnosed with shingles 6/2015, and I'm in my late fifty's. I've had two separate bouts of the shingles rash, which have now created nerve damage (on my upper back called) Postherpetic Neuralgia. I did get pay and got the vaccine after the first outbreak which insurance didn't cover because I didn't meet the age requirements. I also take Thyroid meds.  Anyway, I have never taken any pain meds, but have tried accupuncture. This helped a little bit but can get expensive. The tens unit helps a little also. What has and continues to help me the most with relief from the burning sensation is ice packs, as the pain comes and goes. The only other relief from the pain is 'Palmers Cocoa Butter'. I buy in the Tummy Butter form, and the Palmers Skin Therapy Oil, and the Palmers Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick for hard to reach areas. They have a website, but I can locate it at Walmart and Rite Aid.

• Posted

Hi, and welcome to the groupsmile I too have been looking for some sort of 'encouragement' slash 'help' for about 2 years now and guess you could say I gambled to sign up here and post about my issue with shingles and other things going on. You know the old saying, "Two heads are better than one"!! I just needed some extra answers besides what I'm doing and hearing my own doctors say about my condition. The last time I went, my female doctor told me that she is only allowed a certain amount of time with each patient at that particular clinic. I felt rushed again today, even when we got on the subject of discussing plantar fasciitis- as we both have it- and all of the sudden she was rushing off to 'sign me out'. I need time, committment, quality care, listening ears, and good resources to help me recover. I have blisters on my leg and arm, neck and face, worst one is on my wrist. I thought it was shingles. Decided to post the pics on my FB page to ask my friends about their opinion of it. Three people were definitely positive it was shingles. I went to my pharmacist to pick up some creams, before my 2pm dr appt, and he told me I had shingles. My doctor, without hesitation, told me it was dermatitis infection caused by an allergic reaction, possibly from sumac or poison oak and that I was one who followed the rule of 96 hour 'delay' time for the reaction to manifest itself. Also said that shingles only attack the same nerve that it first affected. The last time I was outside cleaning brush and small trees away from the driveway was last Thursday, I broke out Tuesday morning. I'm still keeping aclose wath on the blisters, using calamine spray and taking steriods/prednisone. I have a very high pain tolerance and do not take pain meds. I also use Palmers, the shampoo/cream rinse, very gentle on scalp shingles. I'm using the TENS Unit daily, seems to help some but my ice packs take the lead in getting me the comfort I need. We have great top of the line insurance so I cannot complain there. I'm looking to go to a neurologist next for better care and more answers. I have PN that will be with me the rest of my life and want to know how to adjust to living with it. I cannot get the shot yet as I'm just under 50. Hoping to get it soon before I have outbreak #3. 

• Posted

Hi Kim, I am 46 and have shingle and TN1 for 3 years. When the doctor found out that I have shingle (after he did blood test), he advised me to have a shingle shot after the nerve calm down. I have to pay for shingle shot. So, don't wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.