Rumbling Kidney Stone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wanted some thoughts and advice on my situation.  Maybe it's one others recognise.  Some details:

I had a kidney stone about 17 years ago.  The day before I had really bad stomach cramps and constipation (worst I've ver had). About 10am the next morning I was doubled up in pain and went to A and E.  They gave me strong pain killers, sent me home, and I suffered about 12 hours and it went.  I must have passed the stone.

In the intervening years, maybe once every 2 or 3 years, I've had what was probably grit...colicky feeling, bit of back pain, bit of IBS, bit of sharp bladder, but nothing too intense and passed in 2 or 3 days.

6 weeks ago, I woke up with a sharp pain in my left testicle and back pain.  Usual IBS type sympoms a fair bit of pain, but not intense like first time.  Seemed to go in 12 hours or less.  Probably a stone that passed.  Not a big one.

Since then, I've had a more or less consistent colicky abdomen: constipation, some diarhhea, feeling slight chill on bowel (not much), bloated, uncomfortable, ocassional sharp pain in right kidney (again not frequent), back pain (not heavy), need to wee more and am drinking lots to flush (inc lemon juice and water). 

I did ring 111 and they said see a doc (4 weeks ago).  I went for  blood test and did a sample (both negative).  Doc said, "very likely a small kidney stone.  If it was large you'd be in more pain by now.  Could be you;ve had two and this is the other kdney.  No point scanning.  May not show up.  Drink lots: it will pass within a few weeks or maybe a month or so. if you do get bad pain, go to AnE, but you might not."

So I am left with this discomfort and wondering if anyone else has had the same and what it is (a small stone?) and if there's any advice.

Many thanks in advance!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Doctors are OK to send people away with 'discomfort' because it's a test of how long you can put up with it.

It might pass on its own and this is the best outcome.

Or the pain might get worse in which case you'll need treatment.

If the pain does get worse or if you you're concerned, go back to the doctor.

• Posted

Thanks, Sheffnet.  Seems like the doc is probably right.  I did see her 3- 4 weeks ago and I'd say the symptoms are 25% worse now...which maybe a good sign in that the stone is moving.  I'll just keep on as I am then and hope it doesn't go off like a volcano - esp when i am at work.  Also, hope it will pass within a week or two now.

Do you think the lemon juice and cider vinegar thing is any use?

• Posted

I know that youve been told this a 100 times before im sure...but it is so important to drink as much water as you can.

It certainly does sound like a stone to me and as youve had them before and managed to pass them hopefully you will again.As sheffnet said its always better to avoid intervention if you can.

I would suggest that if the pain doesnt improve or indeed gets worse go back to your docs.

Good luck.....

• Posted

I don't know whether lemon juice works - it can't hurt if you try it.

Just see how the pain goes and remember that it's OK to use painkillers - ask your doctor for some strong ones in case it gets severe. And if it gets too much, get to hospital.

• Posted

Thanks,

Since then it's been more or less the same, maybe a slight decreasing of symptoms until the last 48 hours.  Now there appears to be more of a pressure at the top of my bladder.  As if something is pushing down even if it is empty.  Sometimes a slight pain or burning at the tip of my penis, usually not whilst I am peeing.  Still the occasional flank pain etc, but nothing too much.  Is it moving?

• Posted

Might be worth checking if you have a urine infection. If so, you will need antibiotics. Take a sample to your doctor for them to check.

Where a pain appears to be is not always the site of the trouble.

• Posted

Well, I got in the car to drive an hour to work, knowing something was up. I got half way and came back. Right decision. Bad belly pains as if need to go to on loo but mainly don't. This is how it was when I had the first stone. Rang in sick. Much more painful today and suspect the stone is passing. On with the pain killers and lots of water.

• Posted

I have passed what appears to be bits of kidney or bladder lining. Small red and clear tendrils. I am drinking lots of water and feel in lots of discomfort...bordering on pain. I don't seem to be peeing much of it out, but didn't have trouble urinating as such...just a lot less than I've drank.

I take it this is a sign that I have passed a stone or am about to or that there is more than one.

Anyone else had this?

• Posted

Could this just be clots of blood? A stone might be causing some bleeding if it is stuck somewhere or passing slowly.

Would recommend that you tell your doctor in case you need antibiotics or stronger painkillers.

• Posted

Thanks. I rang 111. They said get doc's appointment. Doc said almost certainly a stone or stones on the move. May be one breaking up. Going for an X Ray tomorrow and scan and urologist soon. Pretty bloated. Drank 3 pints of water and small beer as diaretic passed only half a pint but may be sticky weather. Got pain killers. No sign of an infection but blood and debris in urine.

Many thanks for you support smile

• Posted

OK, so I now have a sharp pain (not yet unbearable, but pretty unpleasant) under my right rib cage.

I guess this is a sign that the stone might be coming?

I have had an x ray (results in 2 days time) and am due a scan on Friday afternoon.

Any advice?

• Posted

Plenty of water, and take painkillers - keep on top of the pain, and ask for stronger from your doctor if it gets too bad.

Good luck

• Posted

I found/find that voltarol suppositories (diclofenac)are very good for the pain,take along with paracetamol and they work well....and quickly.

It does sound like a stone could be moving about.

Keep drinking gallons of water....as im sure you have been...

Good luck..

• Posted

Thanks.

I had my ultra sound today. Nothing showed up - 2 very healthy kidneys. The nurse said either a small stone or more likely grit.

Water going straight through me. Burning sensation in bladder most of time, worse when desperately need to go.

Guess I'll just keep drinking

• Posted

Hi

Good that your kidneys are nice and healthy,perhaps youve passed a stone and not realised and its just the grit deposits left.

Have they tested for a urine infection?

I do hope the burning sensation goes soon,if not get back to the docs and ask for more investigations.

As you say just keep drinking the water........Im awash with the stuff..!!! lol.

Good luck with it all.

• Posted

Thanks. Doc gave me some anti biotics in advance as said an infection could develop. I can take of need to. Certainly the burning has worsened slightly but I'll just assume it's grit for a few days first and then see.

Many thank smile

• Posted

David, how's it going? I've had very similar symptoms to you, including burning sensation and the need to go to move the bowel when not really necessary. I also get a pain in the pit of the stomach, this is all since I had lithotripsy in April.  Have things improved for you?

• Posted

Hi Raymond,

Well, it's better than it was but still not 100%.

The x ray and ultra sound both spotted nothing, so possibly a small stone or more likely grit.

My money is on grit.  For two weeks I had not much problem, but for the last few days a bit of buring again and a slight but sharp pain at the tip of the penis.  I think I've just had bits of grit passing though over the last 3 months.  Hopefully, most of it has gone now.

I am continuing to drink as much as I can when I am at home, at least.

You may have grit.  What you describe is quite similar to what I have had at various times.

I hope it sorts itself out for you.

• Posted

Hi David, yes indeed I hope it is grit and it does sound very similar.

thanks for your input and stay well.

Raymond

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.