Water and Meniere's diesease

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have made a little research about water and menieres disease and I am confused. How much water should we drink every day ? Does it help menieres disease or make it worse ?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi thanks for joining the group.

I too have menieres disease and I do drink alot of water so not sure if it does make it worse or not.

I will be seeing ENT consultant on the 15/7 and will ask this question.

What I find that is stress brings on an attack.

Dull headache fluid in my ears and that last for hours.not nice.

• Posted

I've told my ENT that I drink a gallon of water I day. (I have kidney stones as well). He has me in a water pill as well. He did not say anything at the amount of water I drink. Low sodium diet is KEY. I try to stay under 1000mg daily. Hope this helps!??

• Posted

I'm on a diuretic. But the rules with taking a diuretic is to drink...... so that said, I think it's keeping fluid moving through your system.

I believe its different from the fluid build up deep in the tissues from sodium?

Anyone out there that knows differently? Please step in?

• Posted

I was also confused about this point.  When I asked my ENT he said that the problem was with the salt, not the water.  Since it's so difficult to rid your diet entirely of salt, the diuretic Triamterene/HCTZ is added, because it works  by dumping salt.  So, it's really extra important to stay hydrated.  I was told that a gallon a day was a good target to shoot for.  You need to stay hydrated, but you don't want  to "retain water", which is what happens when you consume a lot of salt.  It's the water retention that wreaks havoc with the inner ear and causes the "hydrops."

That's the explanation I was given. I hope that I've written it in a way that makes sense!

Take good care...

• Posted

Thanks for your input.

I too was told about salt and also coffee.

I have now dropped my coffee in take and Salt.

I have alot of of drop days.

Can't wait for my appointment with the ENT on Friday.

• Posted

You're welcome, elaine.  Yes, I had to give up the coffee, too.  I thought for sure it would be the salt that I missed the most..But honestly, I soooo miss that morning caffeine "kick start"!!  Decaff just isn't the same!!!  

I wish you the best of luck with your appointment!

• Posted

I only have one a day no more.

Hopefully this doctor will answer some of my questions.

Cause back 5 years I had ever test and then they said it MD.

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

How did your appointment go, on Friday?  Did you learn any new stuff?

Hope it went well!

J

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for your message

Seen my consultant got to have emergency brain scan now then I'm going to see another consultant so I'm no where near finding out.

Will keep you updated.

• Posted

Inner ear fluid balance..

water consumption, as I understand applies to the intake of fluids... You know when you have a cold and people say drink plenty of FLUIDS..so cups of tea, fruit juice..and even water occurring in salads...most foods and beverages contain water....and ' non water' drinks...do count towards fluid intake...note.you can overdo the water drinking thing...and organs ' drown' in it...google excess fluids....everything in balance and drink more when you are in a hot climate to replace sweat. In winter, soups ...fluids. 

• Posted

Probably best to ask your ent to explain in more depth.

There are some different opinions here.

I believe that your fluid retention from your salt/sodium intake is very different than the amt of water you flush your body with.

• Posted

Hello everyone I do have meniers and I believe it's not how much water you drink water it's how you drink it , if you drink a full cup one time you will create a tide wave and then will mess up your electrolyte and then you will have the attacks and fullness so what we need to do is sip our water easy and slow that's what I noticed it works for me

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.