New burning sensation in leg/foot

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had l4/l5 discectomy in April this year, had what was thought to be relapse but thankfully back in the road to recovery now. I've noticed since I have been more active thay i now get a horrible burning sensation under the skin in my leg and foot, same affected leg as the sciatic painwas. It's getting pretty bad now, i woke up on my back which is generally a no no anyway for me still and the burning made me want to rip my skin off. It's 3:40 and I'm struggling with sleep. Is it worth mentioning to the dr? Unfortunately i have had to change gp practice and haven't a clue who i would be seeing now. Is it just damaged nerve?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi it sounds like nerve damage to me I get a burning sensation in my right leg also have very bad restless legs I would say it's worth mentioning as the can give you drugs to basicly the best way I can describe it is the drugs relax your nerves and numb them in away I have been told in the past they are similar drugs to what they give epileptics tbh everything's worth mentioning even tho sometimes it's hard do explain to someone that doesn't suffer from in

• Posted

Hi,

I had this last year, my leg would jump about as my muscles were in spasm. I also had lots of twiching nerves and pain it is all very unpleasant. When I had been on Pregabalin for a while these symptoms went away. This is a drug that is often prescribed for epilepsy and works well to dampen down the pain receptors and stop the shaking.

I would definately talk to your Doctor about it especially if it is stopping you from sleeping. Pregabalin had to be prescribed by the Neurologist so you may have to see a Consultant first.

So sorry you're expernecing this, nerve pain is just the worst! Combined with the sleep deprivation this can make you feel pretty awful. Good luck with your new Doctor. Let is know how you get on.

• Posted

Ok this is my 3rd attempt at a reply. I was give gabapentine, which worked at first, but just didn't suit me at all. The side affects were just too much for me and I am now reducing the dose and experiencing all kinds of horrible withdrawal. I would speak to your gp and to relieve it it try a cold damp cloth in the area as a temporary measure. There is hope though, mine is slowly reducing. I am about to try amytriptiline instead

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.