Post Colonoscopy : Confused about What Doctor Said

Posted , 4 users are following.

Six months ago had a colonoscopy where the prep wasn't ideal and there was fecal matter still in the colon.  One polyp was removed and it was precancerous so doctor said to re-do colonoscopy in six months to be sure she got it all.  Today I had it done, and she examined the area where the previous polyp was and said the lining of the area in the colon was thick so she did a further biopsy to see if the polyp was completely gone and if not she would refer me to a doctor who has "more experience" to remove further part of the lining (or something along those lines).  If all is clear ,  another routine colonoscopy in 2 years.

After she left the room, I got to wondering if this more experienced doctor had done the colonoscopy today would s(he) have taken care of this all in one step and saved me a lot of grief (prep!), or would they not have gone any further without the pathology result? I am very confused

She also told me the prep results still were not ideal but she was able to clean me out enough to do the exam.  Why did she feel the need to tell me this?  It makes me feel as if I am being chastised for not doing a good job on prep. I followed all directions with the Suprep.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If it were me, I would change consultant. It should be routine to clear you out completely and I would want to make sure this was all proceeding properly. There are many degrees of ability in all professionals and some are better at one area of their work than another. I give one 'benefit of the doubt' because things aren't always routine but if the same issue occurs twice I change consultant. They're probably fine but you get a certain feeling and I trust those feelings. And I think you have that feeling...

• Posted

Thanks etheremail.  I am leaning toward taking this advice regardless of future treatment.  I am hoping someone on here will shed light on the confusion about why a more experienced doctor may be needed for the next step.  

• Posted

I had a perfectly experienced gastroenterologist tell me that she found a flat polyp along with some traditional polyps. Since she was not able to remove such flat polyps she sent me to another doctor in her hospital that could. My polyp was called a SSA (Sessile Serated Adenoma) which has a great potential for a bad outcome if not removed. The doctor I saw was one of perhaps thirty in the U.S.that have the necessary training to do what is called EMR which stands for endoscopic mucosal resection. I think that your doctor, given the less than perfect prep, did right by you in trying to protect your health. I am not a medical professional of any sort, but I think she may suspect that you have a flat polyp. I would try to find a gastroenterologist that can perform the EMR at your very next colonoscopy. I have the feeling that you should respect the talents of your current doctor. In any case, get this done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.