Nervous to start paxil

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, recently I've had a pretty rough time with anxiety for whatever reason it went from having an occasional attack to having them constantly. I've been to both psychiatrist and therapist, they want me to start taking paxil as I had taken about 8 years ago for post pardum. Initially about a couple weeks back I tried Zoloft and had to get off it after a week because it made my anxiety go through the roof. That's why I'm afraid to start the paxil, scared of that happening again. When I took paxil years ago I don't recall any side effects but not sure if that'll be the case this time around...The dr also gave me xanax but I don't want to get into habit of taking...any help, advice out there would be great! Just want to feel better!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have just tried paroxetine (paxil) for a few days and I could not tolerate the side effects, feeling nauseous, dizzy, hot, headaches, flu like aching, really tired. I was only taking half a 10mg tablet (5mg).

I'm not sure what dose you have been given, some doctors start straight on 20mg, which is quite difficult to adjust to. It is best to start more gradually. Either ask for 10mg tablets or cut them in half.

In my opinion the xanax are more effective for anxiety and have less side effects. I know they can be addictive but if taken only when needed it is unlikely to be a problem. From personal experience it can be very unpleasant and difficult to stop taking antidepressants.

A psychiatrist will recommend medication because that is their job, but a therapist should not really be advising to take them, the one I'm seeing doesn't think they help in the long term.

It is a big decision whether to start taking them, and you need some free time, it is not something that is easy when you have other responsibilities like work or children.

• Posted

I was given 20 mg but have only been taking 10 mg. First few days seemed fine but then I had some stress piling on and yesterday I got really hot and flushed and anxious...this was at night and I take the paxil in the morning. I really don't want to get in habit.of having to take xanax everyday but today I had to take twice .25 mg....I'm just hoping whatever is upping my anxiety that the meds will work, it's really making me depressed because I feel like a prisoner in my own body. I'm seeing my therapist in a week and.psych as well. Have you asked your dr for a different medication?

• Posted

Paroxetine is probably the best drug in its class (SSRI) when it comes to all anxiety-related issues. It was scientifically proven to be effective in the vast majority of people who took it, being able to reduce anxiety by 70%-80% (depending on the specific condition). However, as all other SSRIs, it becomes effective after about 4-6 weeks. Within the first few weeks it causes side effects as your brain has to adapt to the new serotonin levels. So yes, in the first 1-2 weeks you should expect nausea, insomia and... more anxiety. These side effects will gradually disappear. Now, taking Xanax in order to relieve these symptoms is questionable. Alprazolam (the active ingredient) has a relatively short half-life time in a human body and you may need to take a pill every 5-6 hours, which may become problematic after 2 weeks. Diazepam or clonazepam would be much much better choices - and remember that you would take these only for the first few weeks, before paroxetine becomes effective.

If paroxetine does not work in your case and - as you mentioned - sertraline was not effective either, you may ask your psychiatrist whether he would be willing to consider other options, such as irreversible MAO inhibitors. These are the most effective drugs when it comes to anxiety-related conditions and can work miracles in some patients. However, they are rarely used these days due to severe (and potentialy lethal) interactions with certain foods (like cheese or red wine). So, if I were you, I would try paroxetine as its the best anit-anxiety medication that you can safely take. If it does not work, you have other options to discuss with your psychiatrist.

• Posted

Yes , you should be nervous starting Paxil or any SSRI for that matter.....there are a multitude of horrible adverse reactions to them.....i.e.  agitation, more anxiety, unable to be still, insomnia, even suicidal and violent tendencies.  Believe me.....I was on Paxil for15 years...and finally got off of them 5 years ago...glad I did....there are other ways of dealing with depression or anxiety.....do some research on the web about the dangers of SSRI or even any antidepreseent !  It is worth the trouble.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.