Does anyone get very dry mouth AND throat to the point of having MANY coughing attacks daily?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had a chronic cough for at least 1-2 years to the point of throwing up because my throat is so dry. I am scared to eat dry, crunchy foods in public cuz I KNOW I will choke and I'm asked, "are you ok?" or "are you going to die"? This happens soooo many times a day to me and is soooo embarrassing and frustrating! I'm not reading about people having this problem too, or am I just not seeing it? And what is the best thing to use on a dry mouth and throat? I'm new to this an see a rheumatologist next week. Thank you!! Amy

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dragonfly try to sip water slowly throughout the day. When you see your RA next week be sure to mention it because their is medication that they can give you.

Regards

Mandy x

• Posted

I do try that, but as weird as it sounds, water irritates/dries-out my throat more ... which bums me out because I love water!! Some juices go down well, but between the unwanted sugar and my terrible acid reflux, it's not a great option. Just recently started drinking some Gatorade and Pedialite. They work ok, but would love to just drink the water!! Ugh. Thank you for your input though!

• Posted

Hi Amy

The Gatorade and Pedialyte get the moisture into mucus membranes more quickly than water does. Chilling what you drink helps this happen more rapidly than if the drink is summertime room temp. With Gatorade and equivalents you have to read the label as many flavors have oil in them. The oil helps the mouth feel but defeats the rapid moisturizing effect for membranes. Last time I checked there was a clear lavender colored flavor and maybe a blue colored

one that lacked oil. I have no clue about the Pedialyte.

I too have problems with water making my mouth more dry. That doesn't happen so much now with the medicine I take. I sometimes dilute the sports drinks with water - ditto with juice, coconut water and even my beloved Bai drinks.

Elsewhere under this topic a man named John has listed everything he does for dry mouth, though his is caused by other issues. Most of what he says is good, but some isn't for ss. We always have to worry about our teeth and gums since dry mouth is so bad for them. Lemon juice and drinks with a lot of lemon juice in them, as opposed to flavoring, can make the gums recede and that is always bad. Lemon drops are often made just with fake flavoring so they're okay but I sure couldn't suck them all day. Hard candies help if you suck on them rather than crunch them up. Ditto for throat & cough lozenges, which last a long time in the mouth. Cucumbers and mint however are astringent so tho I love them I do not recommend them for dry mouth. After gum, especially gum sweetened with xylitol, helps. With regular gum I just chew half a piece because otherwise it makes my jaws sore. The only xylitol gum I find in my part of the States is small enough that I can chew a whole piece.

If your throat is going into spasms too you may want to try sips of warmer than room temp water before each bite of food.

Hope the RA helps.

• Posted

Thank you. Very helpful. Didn't know there was gum like that! Also, what med are you taking that is helping your dry mouth? Thanks again!!

• Posted

Evoxac/civemeline, helps eyes, nose, mouth. It can cause or increase head sweating but I'll take that over the alternative. There are other meds for same purpose. I can't tolerate them and have forgotten their names.

• Posted

Hi there, whilst the coughing thing is more rare for me, i do have extreme dry mouth and my eating is moderated to suit the situation. Eating in public is never about what i feel like or enjoy, it is chosen for its ease and lesser likelihood of causing social unease and complete embarassment. My choices come after long experience and trial and many unfortunate errors! I agre that warmer drinks can be better. Whilst tea dries out my mouth after time, it is good in the moment and also "washes" food bits out of my mouth better than cold drinks. Just never select dry, crunchy foods in public. Find excuses to refuse them. I select sugar-free, tiny mints and have them at the ready everywhere - by my bed, in the car, in pockets, in my handbag - and suck them. 1 can last me 30 minutes and does a brilliant job of lubricating my mouth. If i drink tea while i eat socially then quietly pop a mint in my mouth, i can keep the dryness under control enough to be sociable. Just trial what works best for you. Good luck.

• Posted

I use Eclipse sugar free mints - in a silver tin. But anything that is sugar-free and you like the taste is fine. The tiny size mints like these just sit in your mouth undetected by others. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Dragongly Amy,

The only thing that works for me is, chewing gum...I chew sugar free Mentos all day long, drink water all day long.  The only other thing is when you see your RA doctor, is medication.  It is the only other thing that will help...but even then, I still have to chew gum, but not as much as before.  It's awful, I know what you are going through!!  The most important thing is to keep your mouth as moist as possible.  It is extremely important for your teeth too!!!  Floss, Floss, Floss, and brush often during the day, and see your dentist at least 2 times a year, or you can lose your teeth due to the dry mouth.  No saliva = bactiera, bactiera = teeth falling out.  Just a FYI there.  I know I was always taught chewing gum is rude as a child, but you know what...I don't care anymore, it keeps your mouth watery!!!  And the Mentos is pretty strong, and works well.  Your dentist can give you names of things that can help, but I have found they only work for a very short time...like 15 minutes, so I always go back to gum.  And mouthwash has alcohol in it, and dries your mouth even more.  I wish you luck!! 

• Posted

Deidra & Amy

There are special dry mouth mouthwash & toothpaste & moisturizing sprays & moisturizing gels. These will not dry out your mouth. If the wash is used correctly and if you don't eat or drink anything for 30 minutes, they help create a more protective stasis for your mouth. This will not leave a moist feeling forever, not a cure for dry mouth, but it helps your mouth. Not every ss sufferer loses their teeth.

• Posted

Thanks!!! I am SOOOO grateful I joined this group. It's something I should have done a long time ago!! ??

• Posted

Thank you. I'm guessing you are also talking about Biotene? I guess if I used the stuff regularly, it would help more, but it can be so costly! Is there similar stuff to get a RX for? Then maybe insurance can help.... just curious. Thanks again!

• Posted

Yes I use biotene. If there's a prescription line of products I don't know about it but someone else will. I guess you are in the States from what you said about insurance. There might be something in the Jason line. Their products are often excellent and much cheaper than anything else over in the hippie products area (said the aging hippie).

Not kidding when I said you only need a tiny amount of paste on your brush. For regular folks if they use good brushes and brush for the recommended 2 mins twice daily, there's been research since 1st least the '80s showing that brushing with just water is as good as using toothpaste. Since water can make our mouths more dry, a little paste is better. But some biotene paste and see how little works for you. If you can't buy the wash also, just do not rinse with water after brushing. Then wait 30 mins before eating or drinking. It's more pleasant using the wash, but I went a year or 2 just using the paste , , , back when I still believed I needed half an inch of full-diameter paste. Takes a little getting used to not rinsing but not long.

• Posted

Oh Yes, I know, I have tried so many of them, and so far, non have worked for me.  No, I know not every ss sufferer loses their teeth, IF they take VERY good care of thier gums and teeth!!!  They are all so darn expensive, add the expense of our meds...quite expensive!!!  Of all the things I have now tried over the years, I still end up going with sugar free mentos gum.  There is something called "ice chips" if you can find it, that does help some.  They are very strong, making your mouth very watery.  You can ask your dentist about it, they should have the info.  Some stores carry it, or they have the info to send away for it.  At this point, I don't care what is in the gum, as long as it makes my mouth water.  I eat healthy in every other way, and that is all that matters to me at this point.  LOL  So for me, I'm good.  I can understand of others don't want to put bad things in their bodies, and that is for you to decide, but the gum is working for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.