Experience with Visanne anyone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all im about 2 months post lap and was diagnosed with having endometriosis on one of my ovaries. I had cysts on both ovaries but the other was a dermoid cyst. I did not have any pain or symptoms prior except for mild ibs and only knew somethg wasn't right after taking tumor marker tests. So i was healing well post op with just some mild incision soreness and went to see the dr after 6 wks fr a follow up. He did a scan and was all good but as you with endo, the possibility of recurrence is high and im in my mid 30s single and not in any process of getting married and having kids soon. So my dr was concerned abt the likelihood of the cyst recurring and so he adviced for me to try Visanne. I took the advice with some awareness of possible side effects. I took the first dose last night before sleeping and it didn't take long for the pill to make its presence known in my body. 5 hours later i started to vomit, had mild but long headache diarrhea and few hours later, sharp pelvic pain which ive never experienced as never had menstrual cramps before and im not having my period yet. So i was scared to take any pain killers and waited to call the clinic ths morning and was adviced to stop the medication for 2 days before restarting again. As ive never experience thsi kind of pain before, i am abit hesitant on the necessity of taking this pill long term as it seems to have helped a lot of ppl with reducing endo pain but for me so far it seems to have caused more pain than i have ever had before.

So i wonder if any of you here have had similar experiences with the side effects of taking this pill as i will give it another try in 2 days but if its going to cause the same kind of pain again, id rather take the route of just monitoring every few months for any sign of recurrence or use other natural methods...

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

That sounds rough. Sorry to hear what you're going through. I have never heard of Visanne so can't be much help to you. Is it a hormonal treatment?

X

• Posted

Hi, yes it is some sort of a treatment introduced for endometriosis related problems.. seems to be quite popular in europe.. been taking a pill a day so far and well i cant tell if its working yet but still have spottings every now and then which is expected while taking the pill coz it will change the menstrual cycle and sort of trick the ovaries to not ovulateĀ 
  • Posted

Hello! I have been on visanne for 1 month, due to endometriosis, and actually just quit. I had some very unpleasant side effects that I was trying to wait out but realized yesterday that I couldn't do it. Bad headaches which I've never had in my life, bowel issues, and then I bloated up so much that it hurt to breathe or even wear clothes. My breasts have been very tender and sore. Hot flashes. Nausea if I didn't take food with the pill. Insomnia. Oh and last week I had a mini period....cramps and bleeding for 3 days despite having a full period 2 weeks ago. It's a very personal decision but I've decided to deal with my endometriosis without taking synthetic hormones, I also have blocked tubes which will be removed in the next few months. So for me, I didn't feel like my endometriosis pain was enough to warrant feeling so sick every day. The bloating was the worst as it made me feel depressed and hopeless. Wishing you all the best xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.