I have bipolar.. Had my first attack in 2004. Then every two years was the pattern.until 2011 when i

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was put on olamzapine 10mg. I have not had an attack since but i have put on 5 stones. Is there an alternative to the drug which does not increase ur apitite. Am scared to come off it. I would rather be fat and sane than skinny and sectioned but others are pointing my weight to me and am embarrassed. What should i do? Please advise.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was on Olanzapine for 5 years 10mg a day, the doctor slowly took me off it after I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes [side effect of olanzapine], the doctor has put me on Risperidone which still causes weight gain but nowhere near as much as Olanzapine.
    • Posted

How is ur mental health. Ur thought pattern. Since coming of olanzapine? I frightened to come of it. Don't want a manic attack again.

• Posted

Try Saphris I put on 80 lbs on olanzipine and was able to loose all the weight with the change

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.