Recurring cellulitis light at the end of the tunnel?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My fiancé has battled cellulitis since late March. We think possibly there may be light at the end of the tunnel now!

Please if you are diagnosed with this horrid affliction, demand a longer course of antibiotics than 5 days!!! The reason he's had this for so long is due to inadequate antibiotics being given each time he has been treated. If the infection is a small spot, 5 days might do it. If however it involves the entire lower leg from knee to ankle, it will take much much more! After 14 days of vancomycin iv, 10 days of doxycycline(that didn't work at all) ,and finally 14 days of bactrim ds double dosed, his leg is finally normal sized and only has a couple of small open areas that are healing. He's also using mupirocin topically now that oral antibiotics are finished. I am praying that things continue to heal and close up with the topical treatment!

In rural areas, the trend seems to be short courses of antibiotics. This is a travesty and is maltreatment!

If the first doctors had given him a sufficient course of antibiotics, this could have been cured with oral antibiotics alone! Initial treatment for small areas or minor cases might be handled by short course antibiotics but more widespread and invasive cellulitis needs at least 30days of high dose antibiotics plus topical treatment! This is what an infectious diseases consultant explained to us as the reasons why his infection wouldn't clear. He also said in adults bactrim ds should be double dosed for serious infection (2ds tablets twice or even thrice a day)!! He also recommended antibacterial soap used twice a day and adding vinegar or bleach to bath water. Also, mupirocin topical should be used with the oral antibiotics and continued until wound closure is completed!

I've also found that topical tea tree oil aids the healing process. I found this out the hard way as inadequate treatment made it necessary. Add tea tree oil to polysporin or other antibiotic ointment and apply generously. This won't cure it if it's severely affected but it will help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In desperation and in between changing gp..I have been using coconut oil and the itching and burning has calmed down in just two liberal applications at the end of the day ...will keep you posted.
  • Posted

Hey I am going through the same thing . I will tell you there is only so much antibiotics at the hospital they can give you that will work eventually they won't work . I did all of my research like most people tried many different things. Pretty much everything. Cocoanut oil is really

Good for the infectious leg I should know both of my legs have been attacked by this since last December from me ankle to my knees with half and I mean half of my leg was an open sore that drenched towels ad pants with pus and liquid . Literally I would tape large amounts of papertowls around my legs and less then 20 min later the towels would be completely soaked then I'd have to change the paper towels . The docs first wanted to cut out the infection and talked about amputating if nessesary. Luckily still have my legs . But they would look like they were healing then right as the light at the end of the tunnel was near bammmmm infection full blown .... It would heal with more antibiotics aost all the way then bammm again infection blew up . Have you checked his feet yet . Ask em if his feet burn an itch are they cracking in between his toes. Athletes foot will only show up when the infection comes back a third or fourth time mine was fourth. If he has this go to dollar store Nd by tanactin spray . All sudden my legs started healing fast no more weeping scabs on left leg the leg they wanted to chop off Amd one small scab on right leg with no leaking wounds . Most cellulitis can be caused by athletes foot funny yes but no joke . This is why the infection gets mis treated . Treat athletes foot as same time he gets antibiotics this should go away . It's been 8 monthes I still Have it with a lot of discoloration which will become scars . Try tin actin give it 3 days it should start healing more quickly

• Posted

Just now saw your reply.

The nearly healing and returning to full blown infection cycle can be broken by longer courses of antibiotics! It took 14 days of vancomycin IV 10 days of doxycycline and 14 days of bactrim ds double doses plus dexamethasone and using mupirocin topically to cure it for him. He has scarring and some discolorations but no more active infection.

His began from a scrape that got exposed to brackish water. He received inadequate treatment from a local hospital that prolonged his battle with cellulitis.

His first er visit they gave 1 dose IV ceftriaxone,medrol injection, and 5 days bactrim. This was inadequate and improper treatment! After several repeat trips to the same Er, one idiot decreed it was stasis dermatitis and discontinued antibiotics. I took him to a different Er and they were shocked at that misdiagnosis of such an obvious infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.