Single enlarged tonsil, no pain, lump sensation.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have an enlarged left tonsil for the past 5+ years. I don't think it's always been this size but feeling around there's also a "bone" sticking out underneath my tonsil next to my tongue. It's under the skin. I also have a clicking sensation in my throat when I swallow, especially when I take a shower. The lump feeling gets worse when I get anxiety, drink coffee or poke at my tonsil. There's no pain. I have had the lump in my throat feeling for almost a year now. It's just annoying. I scheduled an appointment for an ENT in a couple weeks. I'm just wondering about the "bone" sticking out and if that's supposed to be there? It's not on the other side...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Crowsticks, 

My husband is going through something similar. Only his "bone" is near the jaw bone. Our guess is Peritonsillar Abscess but we haven't yet confirmed it with a doctor. His lymph node also seems swollen and has the lump in his throat feeling. We've been to the ENT 3 times. First, they thought sinuses, then they thought it was caused by acid reflux, then they thought it was from a messed up muscle in his neck that is causing the pain and the "bone" in his jaw bone (he also has a lump on his throat). They ruled out cancer but they are still giving us the runaround, none of that makes sense, he has tried treatment for all of those things and nothing is helping so we ruled all of those out.

This may not be the same but if we find out something or if the doctor thinks that that is what he has I will update you and let you know. If you find out something do you mind to let me know? I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks!

I am hoping that it is just a matter of getting his tonsils removed and his lymph node drained and put him on an antibiotic to cure the infection, but I am no doctor. I will let you know what we find out. Thanks!

-Katie 

• Posted

I just saw an ENT on 08/16/16 and she said nothing looks out of the ordinary. That I just have acid reflux and my tonsil is irritated. Probably from tonsil stones even though I haven't seen any, she said they're probably buried inside the tonsil. I asked about the bones feeling and she said she didn't feel anything and if I do then it's just a ligament. Idk. I still don't feel satisfied. I feel there's more to this and all I got was a prescription for acid reflux and a "if it doesn't get batter come back."

• Posted

Hmmm. I wonder why they just don't remove your tonsils if they think that is part of the problem...? My husband saw another ENT and he said that he thinks it's allergies... Which puts us back at square one. That was the first thing the first doctor thought, then from there to acid reflux, and so on... Frustrating. He is going to see an allergist though and get put on allergy shots. I guess even if it is not the problem it may help in other ways.

• Posted

Yeah, we brought that up to the ENT and he said he didn't think that that was what was going on because of the feeling of the lump in the throat & kept going back to it having to be allergies... But I don't know... from reading what other people said TMJ is like people are saying that they are experiencing tightness. Which seems a little different. But it just fits too closely to ignore. He is getting an allergy test on Tuesday and is going to be put on allergy shots. I doubt it is what is wrong with him but I would expect it to help in other ways none the less. He's always had bad allergies and we do live in the Ohio Valley after all makes things a thousand times worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.