Ruptured Achilles

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, I ruptured my Achilles just over 2 weeks ago playing football and have been in cast since with the aid of 2 crutches, they are very uncomfortable and making my shoulders and back very sore.

Am from the UK and wasn't offered surgery just straight into cast.

I am quite an independent guy and always out and with my boys, this has really knocked me for 6 and I think am close to depressing.

Can anyone advise what they do to keep their minds off things?

Thanks Pete

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pete, sorry to hear of the injury. have you asked why you are still in a cast?  You should have moved onto a boot by now with wedges under your heel and docs scheduling the wedges to be gradually reduced over time. Unfortunately, this is a serious injury, in many ways worse than a break. It takes time to heal.  In my case back walking in 3 months unaided and then jogging by 6 months and back to nearly full capabilities by a year. Biggest challenge is overcoming the feelings of this is a serious injury, to having hope and certainty you will recover, but be patient, its takes time so acceptance is key and then try to do as many normal things as you can wit hthis temporary disability.  

• Posted

Thanks Stephen for your comment. I think the doc was a bit shocked to see me for the first time on Monday just past as he thought I should've been sent to him a week earlier but I think between the nurses and lady at the reception they completely left me hanging for almost a week. I will be going on the walking boot by the 15th of August and hopefully things will be a bit easier then.

• Posted

Hi, I feel your pain, I am 3 weeks since my ruptured A/T. I pushed for the moonboot straight up instead of cast this time as I did the other leg 5 years ago and I was in cast for two weeks and it was awful. I also didn't have Surgury either times as that just frightened the hell out of me.

The biggest thing that I find is to keep your mind busy, whether it is catching up on some movies, having a computer or iPad handy to do reserch and chatting and Skyping family and friends and no matter how hard it is getting out of the house works a treat ( as long as there is no pain stopping you)

I hired a wheelchair to make it easier just to go downstairs under house and spend some time outside and I have gone to the local shopping centre for few hours to get out. I also am using the other type of crutches that just go around your forearms which are heaps better then the ones under your arms. My hips are still suffering a little but weekly visits to chiropractor is helping. Hang in there and hopefully you will get into moonboot soon as it is a lot easier and better then a cast.

• Posted

Thank you so much, your comment has really is great to keep positive.

I will be in the walking boot by the 16th of the month and hopefully will be easier then. Could you put weight on while in boot??

• Posted

I am still no weight baring for 4 weeks in the boot and hopefully when I go for my first ortho appointment since injury on the 17th August I hopefully will then be able to start to bare weight and they are happy with the healing so far. Fingers crossed, will see what happens.
    • Posted

Hopefully all will be well on the 17th. Please keep me posted on your progress.
    • Posted

Yes will do, isn't it so interesting to know how different every ones recovery is to your own.

For such a common injury like I have read this is the treatment varies from person to person which is very interesting to read about. Same to you, keep in touch

• Posted

Hi Pete,

I wish I could tell you that you won't get depressed but, that is a oaet of the recovery process. I too succumbed to depression my first week but after reading other's stories plus talking to family and friends I am trying to see the positive in all of this. For instance, this won't be forever and soon we will be back to our normal activities.

Since we are at the NWB stage there isn't much we can physically do, however I find that reading helps a lot, family and friends coming by and just catching up on all the movies you may have missed.

Recovering from foot surgery isn't easy but I try to do little things to make me happy more times than not. I hope that you can find something f to make gir recovery a little easier.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much Dez, very much appreciated. I am now in the process of buying a cheap automatic car to take my little boys about and get me to work and back since I can't drive my manual car for about 2 months or so (my left leg is the injured one). I think this will help me immensely as my depression is more to do with me just sitting about doing little for someone who is always on the go. Will hopefully pick up the car tomorrow. Thank you.

• Posted

Hello Pete. Have you looked at the IWALK I've also a ruptured achilles and I'm waiting on surgery. As I have both achilles that are no good I'm not going to be able to not WB on my operated right leg so I'm going to buy a IWALK. Only a thought for you as you can get out an about etc with them.

• Posted

Hi Denise, I have never heard of iwalk before but will surely Google it now and see. Good luck with your surgery and wish you speedy recovery after. Thanks
  • Posted

I am now in the walking boot after 4 weeks in the cast. It feels so much better to finally put my foot down after4 weeks of walking on one leg.

I must say that so far I am finding it difficult to walk with the boot and I am still on 2 crutches.

How has everyone finding the boots and how long does it take to start getting use to using it?

Thanks

Peter

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I've been in the boot for a few days and I am putting some weight on it, but not all yet.  My foot doesn't feel strong enough for that so I am just going little by little.  Hopefully more people respond - I am also curious how long this will take!

• Posted

That's fantastic KMidd, i am finding it difficult to walk in them but it's only been a day for me now. Just like you my foot is not strong enough to put my full weight on just yet. Good luck with your recovery and please keep us posted.,

Thanks

• Posted

Does everyone when they start to walk kinda kick out to the side and look like a complete twit ? Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.