Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (CES)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried this for depression or anxiety? If so, what device did you use and does it work? Would love to hear from anyone who has any experience of this, many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't have experience of this. Is it somrthing like the old Electro-Convulsive Therapy? I believe that was very dangerous. Maybe the best thing is to ask your GP, For your best option. Medication, anti-depressants, are probably safer? Again, always ask your GP. Staying safe is the most impotant thing. Neville

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I don’t want to sound negative however my knowledge 'which is minimal at best about CES’ is it has had low success and was always a trial procedure that had no real success in treating depression/anxiety or even headaches.... which brings me to my theory ‘that with all the talk about the brain being imbalanced in times of depression/anxiety and other’ that the real source of treatment lies with stabilised brain chemistry Anti-Depressant medication, Corrective serotonin uptakes to balance the chemicals again which in my experience has worked. CBT is another good method without Med's if one can apply the techniques successfully which is no quick fix and doesn’t work for everyone. Good luck Sarah.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I guess that a treatment, with supposedly no or little side affects , is too good to be true?. There are such differing reports, but I do think that something similar, using magnetic forces on the brain, has had quite a lot of success and is offered in private clinics (for several thousand pounds) but may eventually be available on NHS. There are varying reviews on internet for hand held CES devices you use at home - I think more common in USA. Just wondered if anyone on here had actually used one, or knows of someone who uses one. It would be great to find something that helps other than drugs. Good luck to everyone, whichever therapy works for you is the one to go for x
  • Posted

You will need to take your own, informed choice if this has been suggested, you need to talk with your GP and discuss the treatment

I have not heard this term although I know ECT these days is not as it was in the  past.

Take advice if you cannot understand the proceedure 

• Posted

I've been using this for a little over a year and find it extremely helpful in my case. I had severe, chronic insomia, along with depression and anxiety for over 10 years. Within 6 months of using CES, I was sleeping 6+ hours. A year later, I'm sleeping for 8 hours every night. In the last month, I've been sleeping 8 hours straight through the night. I don't take any medications for sleep and the only other thing I do is put one drop of lavender essential oil on my pillow. I found my best results come from using the CES at bedtime every night for 20 minutes, unless I have an unusually highly stressful day, at which time I might use it for up to 60 minutes. My therapist helped me to establish this, so I highly recommend you work with someone that has experience with CES. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Has it helped with your depression/anxiety? Which device do you use? Many thanks.
    • Posted

I believe it has helped my anxiety a great deal, as well as just about eradicating my insomnia. I use the Alpha Stim SCS unit. And you are welcome. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.