Just beginning weight bearing 4 weeks after surgery...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a partial Achilles Tendon tear repaired and some heel Spurs removed on July 8th. So the good doctor has said that I can start weight bearing in a boot, after being in a splint for 4 weeks. They originally didn't give me any heel lifts, until I started tearing up because the stretch from pointing down to flat was too much. I still can't put much weight on that left foot yet. I don't know if it's in my head as well as being in my foot too. I feel like I should be further along. I am using the crutches to help me 'walk' but it's mostly crutches. Anyone have any advice/experience about going into the boot and starting to walk again?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen when you say a split, is that a back slab or do you mean a full cast?
    • Posted

I'm surprised they left you on a back slab for 4 weeks as they start great break down after after 4 weeks. So from a Equinos position to a boot with no wedges is pretty tough. I'm on a similar programme to you but I'm in a boot after 10 days of being in a back slab. The boot has 5 wedges, I start off with PWB, after 2 weeks, I start removing a wedge and go FWB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.