Quitting Cymbalta

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was prescribed Cymbalta 4 days ago and it has been pretty rough on me. Lots of muscle fatigue, lethargic behavior, sleeplessness, no appetite. I understand these are pretty normal side effects to most antidepressants but if I were to stop and go for a more herbal approach to dealing with my anxiety, how long will I feel these symptoms if my last dose was this morning?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Travis hi. My symptoms lasted a good week. been very nervous, agitated and got insomnia. Not nice. I may switch to citralopram very low dose. Cymbalta in the long term can be tough to get off
    • Posted

Thank you and that's why I don't want to use any antidepressants. I don't care how beneficial they might seem. The reliance on them is very scary to me and I'm not responding very well at all

• Posted

Taking these medicines can be very beneficial if really needed and for some people must be taken long term. Starting Cymbalta at 60mg is a high dose. Have you ever taken any kind of meds in this catagory before. What kind of doctor prescribed them? The severity of anxiety or depression or both makes a difference. No two circumstances are the same. I went undiagnosed for over 12 yrs. I have major depression, anxiety and ptsd. I have tried therapy and other things but trying to get away from my meds definetly does not work. If you can deal with your're anxiety without this medication by all means go another route. On the other hand it could just be that you need a lower dose and for only a short time. I hope this is your situation. Speak to the doctor right away about the side affects and I hope it helps.

• Posted

I was prescribed a dose of 30 mg, taken once a day and since the first evening I took them, I've felt very ill. Like I've had the flu. I even switched to taking them in the morning and Sunday was not a fun day. I felt very unbalanced and clammy at times. I ended up with a severe case of insomnia that night and never fell asleep until Monday evening. I've never really taken anything for stress and anxiety but I don't feel like this is worth it.

• Posted

I have been taking cymbalta for dpression for 8 plus yrs. Have you talked to the dr. About these symptoms. I have no side affects and the only side affect from an antidepressent I have experienced was they made me sleepy. That was in the eighties and the meds are way different now. Never stop these meds without speaking to dr. First. I tried St. Johns wart etc. In place of mine once and found my self in the hospital with severe suicidal thoughts. My situation may be much worse than your's. Which kind of dr. Prescribed the meds. I never knew that Cymbalta was for anxiety. Unless there are other reasons also. I can't stress enough how important taking these meds are and never stopping without first speaking to your dr.after taking them for a longer peroid of time you have to come off them slowly also. I certaintly hope you have success with lower your anxiety. Life is hard enough without these problems added. You can and will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.