Starting Gabapentin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I have just started taking Gabapentin and am trying to tell myself it is in my mind but feeling desperately nauseous. Did anyone else experience this a few hours after starting? I had same problem with Lyrica and had to stop taking. I guess one of my questions is how long should I try before making a decision as to whether it is useful for me. Nausea keeping me awake as well as pain now and scared it will impact ability to work.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes did experience  nausea, dizziness along with other negative side effects. Could not tolelrate and tapered off after 3 weeks of using. Should mention was on 200 mg per day, was prescribed 300 but could not handle. Also, did not manage pain, just caused loopy feeling.
  • Posted

Hi Hope,

it can cause dizziness, blurred vision, and yes to your question. I had both; I still feel very nauseated so need gravol to take it away.

I realize everyone reacts differently, but these symptoms are well documented. I too felt like I was spaced out or loopy...not a good feeling.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a job where I need to be very on the ball mentally. Has anyone struggled to work on this medication. Am only on 300mg and meant to increase to 900mg but if it carries on like this I shall have to stop as if I cannot work or drive I am in a far worse state.
    • Posted

Hi, I was on 200 mg daily.....totally unable to do much. Certainly not capable of driving. 
    • Posted

Hi hope 2heal yes nausea is one of the side effects of gabapetin it may not be the right dose or your body can't tolerate it if it doesn't subside tell your Dr you may need a different medication I'm in the same boat as you are I may have to get off as well feel better soon don't let nausea take over ??

• Posted

I have come off and feel a lot more human but still in pain. My problem is pain management discharged me saying there was nothing more they can do.

I have tried amitriptyline, duloxetine, pregabalin, Topiramate and now Gabapentin. Duloxetine gives least side effects plus have codeine and lidocaine patches but none seem to help with the muscle spasms I am getting which are supposedly caused by an inflamed nerve pathway.

Anyone got any tips in terms of managing spasms. Tried Epsom salt baths, heat packs, ice, stretches, lidocaine, codeine and elevation. They are keeping me up most nights.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hello hope2heal, glad your off the gabapentin. I hope to sleep better tonight.

I was put on 500mg naproxen for something else and I take it 3x a day. I found it really helped with my back pain and only side effect is a bad tummy if I dont have it witb food.

Cant help with the spasms medication wise but I found 2 things have helped my nerve spasams this week. Going for a swim but not swimming, just treading water. Chiropractor reccomended and it helps (ice pack straight after). Other thing is wearing a corset (cheapish latex 18boned one off spamazon) - the support is stopping my nerve from pinching which is stopping the spasms. I get them straight back if I dont wear the corset even for one day but it might just be me.

I hope you find something for the pain, it sucks x

• Posted

Hi there muscle spasms are usually caused by nerves I believe I'm not to sure if there's anything you can do for them unless try cramp pills for muscle spasms? Won't hurt let me know ?? good luck

• Posted

Thank you. Yes, I have heard quinine helps which is also in tonic water. I could try adding the gin...!
  • Posted

Hello,

• Posted

Argh. Sorry typing on phone. These pop ups are driving me mad!

I started taking gabapentin 100mg 3 days ago for sciatica after i became quite dependent on codiene 30mg. I am sensitive to medication and last year I had a horrible come down off Tramadol.

I asked my GP for something that wouldnt deprive me of sleep or make me drowsy as I have exams coming up and a young baby. These even on a low dose totally knock me out and make me drowsey and forgetful all day. Im completely unable to study. They also give me a bad cramp in my stomach and headaches.

Last night I decided to stop taking the pills. I am on such a low dose they dont help with my pain and ive only been taking for 3 days so I had hoped no side effects of withdrawal.

WRONG!

Its 3.48am and I havent slept all night. Nightmares, hallucenations, restlessness, insomnia. I am wired. Just took one pill to see if I can get a few hours sleep in before kids get up. I seriously regret taking this medication.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your experiences. I have also stopped after only a few days as just cannot function.

I have been having the most weird nightmares and talking in my sleep. Sure it will not take long to get back to feeling human as been on for such a short time but to be in pain and not be able to function is not manageable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.