Lichen planus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi been diagnosed with LP also OLP

About 6 months ago. The body and foot doing better but the mouth omg. Blisters sores dry tight etc etc. How does this happen why and how long . On a mouth wash with cortisone in it dud help. Now stopped. I'm so tired of not even having a cup if hot tea without pain.

What can I do where and how and how long and what can stop it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi chris

sorry to hear this...there are many ladies on this forum with lots of advice... Me for one.. Stress plays a big part in this disease causing flare ups.. So do try not to stress too much... Also keep off spicy foods...and coconut oil sooths the mouth...I'm 58.how old are you Chris 

• Posted

Thank you for responding

I am 64 .. do u know how and why it happens and how long someone can have it.

And the coconut oil ..How do I use use it

• Posted

Was diagnose with this 15 years ago but then had no symptoms ony the last couple of years the symptoms....I noticed when I was diagnosed  around that same time I had colposcopy after a smear test  have you ever had. Problem with smears.... But there are other causes.... I swish the coconut oil around my mouth then spit out it's soothing

• Posted

Is yours oral as well.... this is just annoying. No I have cirrohis stage 4 due to a virus. Virus us cleared but now all this stuff is happening. Now gallstones as well snd they say I'm high risk if I have surgery I'll go into immediate liver failure. My husband passed away in 2009 of liver failure and cancer. I'm just beside myself cause I can't get answers how what where and when

I appreciate your comments . Heading to work but I will look forward to more when I'm on break

• Posted

I have had OLP since 2008 and honestly, no one could tell me what it was until last year but still then, I was not offered any treatment.  I have constant open sores in the back of my mouth on both sides behind bottom cheek area and also tenderness in inner cheeks and in pain everytime I ate and even just the mint from toothpaste was horible. 

However, last year I went to a Ears Nose and Throat Doctor and he looked at me and said it was OLP.  He wanted to rule out cancer but with insurance issues, the biopsy never happened for that so then treatment never started.

Two weeks ago, I went to another ENT and he also said it looked like OLP but no biopsy needed since if I had Cancer, I would have known for sure by now since I have had this since 2008.

He prescribed me a mouth wash though and they call in the Magic Mouth Wash.  It has Lanocaine, Benadryl and a fungas medication in in,  Instructions was to swish in my mouth 3 times a day for 7 days.  Mind you, it also said to swallow but the numbness on my throat from the Lanocaine was not enjoyable.  However, I noticed that after even the second day, my sores started getting less angry and the swelling in my inner cheeks also better.   He also prescribed me a steroid paste and I applied that as well which seemed to work good.

I know they won't ever go away but I have tested out a few things that normally would set the sores off and so far so good and my mouth feels so much better and its been two weeks so far. 

I'm in California but according the the pharmacist, the "Magic Mouth Wash"  and yes, that is the name is known to them so if you can get a doctor to prescribe it for OLP, try it.  I know it won't work on everyone because we are all different but it is so worth a try to bring you comfort.  

• Posted

Steroid mouthwashes do help, but to avoid side-effects from absorption it is important to spit out thoroughly and to use a steriod that stays in place rather than being absorbed e.g. betamethasone rather than hydrocortisone. Unfortunately there has been a supply issue with betnesol. I changed to dexamethasone, another fluorinated corticosteroid, and it seems to be working as well. It is important to use the liquid as the tablets are insoluble. I take 1mg=2.5 mls for about 10 minutes twice daily.

I also find Holland & Barrett green tea tablets help - either held against an ulcer for a while, or chewed (bit unpleasant), or even swallowed. Not quite sure how they work: possibilities are inhibiting enzymes that break down tissue or an immune effect (inhibit T-cell activation)

• Posted

Thankyou john for the info. I am using the wash dexametha some. It seemed to help but last couple of days no. It feels worse.

Any clue as to where this OLP came from why and how long

• Posted

Thankyou john for the info. I am using the wash dexametha some. It seemed to help but last couple of days no. It feels worse.

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

I don't think anyone knows what causes erosive OLP except that there is an auto-immune component. Perhaps the immune system gets confused by viral infection or foreign proteins in the mouth. I had aphthous ulcers, worst when I was a teenager, so maybe there is a link to this. I have had the problem for over 20 years, and eOLP is renowned for being difficult to treat (though the research base is pathetic). If you find treatments that control it, it is worth persisting with these as the better you get it the easier it is to control. The corollary of this is that viral sore throats and accidental injury to the inside of the mouth tend to make it worse.

• Posted

Thankyou for your take on it. Im the type of person that needs hard answers and this is not happening. Even my own dermatologist couldn't .

I get very upset with unknowns.

My mouth in particular is not in pain just cause.

Which Dr does know how why snd how long.

• Posted

Chris

I started having mouth sores in 2008 and no one could tell me what it was and couldn't t even get a dentist to clean my teeth because they see sores and freek out.  However, last year a new dentist told me to get tested for an Auto Ammune Disorder.  Although test came negative for what they tested for I was told it could still be one because some test don't look at all that are out there  My recent ENT  took one look at my sores and the inside of my cheek area and said it was OLP.  He prescribed a mouth wash that they call "Magic Mouth Wash" and it has from I heard an anti fungal, Benadryl and Lanicane in it.  It numbs the mouth up alot but it seemed to work really well.  I also go a steroid paste that he said to use during flare ups.  Not sure where you are (US) but if you want the actual ingredients to the mouth wash, let me know and I will get it.  I used it by swishing in my mouth three times a day.  He said to swallow it but I didn't like the numbness in my throat so swished it only.

I have to watch what I eat like spicey things or mints because my inside cheek area is the most senative with them but for the sores, they are there but have not been inflammed for about a month now.  He said they wont even go away but all he gave me is to give me comfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.