Alcasta

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone give me info on the above named drug?

I was recently diagnosed with Osteoporosis and attended a referral clinic yesterday. The doctor recommends I take a 5mg dose intravenously yearly for the next three years. I suffer from COPD and acid reflux so I feel I am on enough daily medication and that was why he suggested the injection rather than tablets.

I explained to him that since being diagnosed I have started taking all the relevant supplements but he poo, pooed them saying that they were not strong enough to make any difference.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Fern

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had my first annual infusion yesterday as I too am on so much medication and couldn't cope with tablets. It took about 30 minutes and no side effects. Its reassuring as it keeps your bones from weakening further. I had a low bone density reading so its important. I would not hesitate if its offered to you.

• Posted

I also suffer from COPD, Barretts, Osteoporosis and Scleroderma just to top it off, with quite a lot of medication, but I chose the Alendronic Acid one a week tablet. I don't need to be going to the hospital any more than I am.

• Posted

Can you share your DXA scan results with us?  Have you had any so-called "fragility factures"?  If your results are not dire I concur with those who suggest that non-medical treatment is in the long run better and just as effective.  There have been studies showing that bone density can be improved by a combination of micronutrients, also by weight bearing exercise including ordinary walking, Nordic walking and Tai Chi.  Nordic walking improves upper body strength.  Tai chi is good for improving balance.  Fracture avoidance through improved balance is acknowledged an important strategy.  One of the unfortunate things about the medications is that in the long run they do not improve bone strength, which is what we all really want.  After a few years the incidence of fracture actually increases as the bones have not been allowed to perform their normal remodelling, and become brittle.  

• Posted

fractures rolleyes

I need an edit button

• Posted

I've only just seen this post, great advice as always!  Have no idea why my reply to Pat was removed. I'm nearly 3 months off the AA, my hair is growing back, thick and strong, even tinged with red, and I'm just normally cross and bothered, not really upset and depressed.  It would seem. on the face of it, that the fibromyalgia indicators  were side effects.  I've still pain, which might be compression fractures, but I feel able to deal with this, not hopeless.

• Posted

Glad you are feeling better.  Did you include a link in your reply to Pat, or reference to what the moderator perceived as alternative treatment.  You can always private message someone.

Cheers!

• Posted

Just click on the little envelope under their name.  However, Fern posted this 7 months ago....
  • Posted

Hi Fern..  I too have been offered  ( pushed)   to have this drug.. i don't know enough about it yet.. and no one has enlightend  me  side effects... ??????? 

I if you do find any info could you let me know...

• Posted

Dear Fern, only you can decide. Sorry about the COPD and reflux.  I am taking calcium, Thiamine and 'strong' vit B. These have been prescribed, not over the counter. the advice and help from this discussiion is that exercise, diet is the way to go.  Interesting that you were offered the intravenous option, sounds like your doc listened.  Keeping fingers crossed for you.  XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.