mammogram recall

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi can anyone help please as im really worried,had my first routine mammogram last week and had a letter to go back this thursday for another mammogram and ultasound,when i phoned them they said i have a area in my left breast half way back that is white and needs looking at im really scared as anyone else had this.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The same thing happened to me. After the second mammograms and ultrasound they also took a biopsy. By this time I knew something was wrong but had to wait a week for results. I had DCIS which is in the milk ducts. 10 mm spread. Then they did a scan of my lymph nodes. Then I had a simple mastectomy and they took lymph nodes as well to see if it had spread. Luckily it hadn't spread so no more treatment. Only needed one night in hospital and back to normal in no time. If it had been a smaller area I could have had a lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy and hormone treatment . I'm glad I had the mastectomy rather than all that. I was offered a reconstruction which would have been carried out at the same time as the mastectomy. I refused. It would have been a much longer, more complicated procedure. I still have the option of reconstruction if I change my mind. All this was 6 months ago and I will now be on yearly mammograms for the other breast. The waiting and the fear of the operation were the worst part. I hope your tests turn out ok but if you do need treatment it is not as awful as you think and there are loads of us women who have gone through breast cancer and are now happy and healthy. Good luck, try to distract yourself while you are waiting and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply,really sorry you have had to go through all this i can imagine how diffucult and what an emotinal journey this has been for you.I phoned the hospital up again today because i am so stressed out and just trying to get more info and she said there is a tiny white area of concern and if it is cancer its very early on thats just made me feel worse cus i think it is now
  • Posted

I hope your outcome is better than mine...I had the same thing, on the ultrasound there were suspicious cells showing and after having a biopsy it ended up being DCIS and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I had a lumpectomy and a sentinal node biopsy it did not spread into the lymph nodes...I take Tamoxifen. It's almost 4 years and I'm cancer free for now.

Good Luck, I wish you the best!

• Posted

Thankyou loral for your reply really sorry youve had to go through what youve been through but glad that your now cancer free When you had your mammogram did yours show up as a white area aswell.
    • Posted

Yes it was a white area, but yesterday I had a 3D Mammogram for my annual check-up and the tech showed me the images of my breast on the computer and there is a lot of white area showing in the breast. So it's not always cancer...The radiologist knows what to look for...

Relax, more than likey it's not cancer...wink

• Posted

Hiya just an update what happened at my recall,had a number of pics taken consultant radiologist says in her opinion she thinks its breast cancer had ultrasound and biopsy done aswell got to wait till next week for results,measurement is a 9mm mass but its not all about the size its how aggressive it is so just praying it not to bad.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Lorraine. Good luck with the results next week. Stay positive. Breast cancer treatment has advanced amazingly and you have a really good chance of coming out the other side fit and well. I'm really feeling 100% ok after my mastectomy 6 months ago.

• Posted

Take care, I hope it's not, but if it is there's a lot of information and help out there for you. I also use a site called Breastcancer.org, women like us from all over the world post questions on discussion boards and support each other!smile

• Posted

Hi a 9mm mass without spread to the lymph nodes should be easily cured . At 1 cm the percentage of metastasis starts to increase but you should have 100% cure. I am a Radiologist with Mammography subspecialty  in the United States
    • Posted

No Evidence of disease (NED), but there is no cure for cancer...I had DCIS and IDC, still see an Oncologist 4 years later, and taking Tamoxifen. I had Onco DX test, and scored 34, should have had chemo and radiation and choose not too, even if I had those treatments there is no cure.
    • Posted

Hi weĺ i went for biopsy results and consultant said i had to have another one the vacumm assisted one because they think oringial biopsy missed the area,had that done last week and got results this wednesday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.