Numbness in feet

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am feeling numbness in my feet, running along the outer side of the feet.  Sometimes a finger will go numb for a few minutes as well.   The feet have been numb for quite awhile now, I asked my Dr about this problem and he thought it may have been caused by an old injury, I have never had injuries to both feet.  Wondering if the Prednisone can cause this type of numbness?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is a common question - and numbness and tingling are both listed as less severe side effects of pred. However, one lady with this problem was diagnosed eventually as having restless legs syndrome. Are you under a rheumatologist? If so, ask them too.
  • Posted

I have the same problem, the outer side of my feet are numb and this also happens on the outer side of leg as far as the knee I'm sure if I put a pin in it wouldn't  hurt. That much so think it must be prednisolone side affect.. My torso at back is so tender as well can't stand being touched, what we have to go through for polymyalgia I've recently had relapse and had to up my daily dose, can't see me ever being free from meds.

• Posted

That sounds like myofascial pain syndrome - like a whiplash injury making muscles very tense and painful. Mine can be so bad that if someone touches them I scream! Oral pred may help a bit - but local steroids is better.
  • Posted

Oh yes, yes, yes. I have totally numb feet and mine too go a little up the outside of the leg. I have the added problem of having OA in my lower spine and spinal stenosis further up and the numbness and pain in my back and legs has always been put down to that. I live on a small island and was sent to a spinal unit in Enlgand as the orthopaedic surgeon over here tried steroid injections in my spine and hip to take away the pain and try to get the sensation back in my feet. Neither worked. The more I read on this site about PMR and Pred does the more it makes me wonder if my spine is not the culprit. The condition (numb extremities) is called peripheral neurophy, so you might want to look that up, just in case your condition is also caused by back/spine changes. Thanks for posting this and I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.
    • Posted

Thank you Loulie,

I will certainly look up Perihperal Neurophy, thank you for your input.

Track   

All the best to you.

• Posted

I started with a numb big toe five months ago, it then went into my foot but that went and the numb toe stayed. I told my G.P. who said he didn't know what it was. I then told my Rheum. who examined me ad sent me for Nerve Conduction Tests which I am now waiting the results of. The Neuro. lady who did the tests said the disease could have damaged the nerves. The Pred wasn't mentioned.

• Posted

I have a different auto immune disorder and I get this but have never taken steroids. I had tests to rule out nerve damage and there was none. This symptom has gone with better disease management. I agree you should speak to your consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.