Tramadol for back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I have been experiencing back pain for over a year now with no relief, i have seen an osteopath and that does help but this time the pain is more central in my back like it is coming from my spine.

I do have scolosis and am prone to arthritis as it runs in my family so thinking it could also be that.

I am being referred to the pain clinic and am having an MRI scan also, my GP wanted me to go for physio but i dont think that will help.

I am currently taking cocodamol around 3 times a day to be able to function.

Having read a few comments on here it seems the tramadol have some worrying side effects. Anybody got any advice wether i should take these or not?

thanks

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Stay on the codeine, but just be careful with it. You don't say what dosage you are taking, or how long you've been on them, but even long term use can done safely. Determine what the effective dosage is for you, never exceed it, and try to get by with less whenever possible. Set a minimum time between dosages, and stick to it. Skip dosages whenever possible. And try to have an occasional "drug free" day.

• Posted

Hi

I only take them when i really need them! i also try for the med free days too

It is to the point now where i am no longer able to cope with the pain, although i am being referred to the pain clinic it kills to stay sitting for ages and it hurts to lay down, standing only helps for a while so i am at a loss as to what to do!

• Posted

Do not take this drug it's the devil the withdrawals are horrible it works great for pain but if you forget to take it one day you're going to be very sick with withdrawals I would not take it

• Posted

Thank you i am not taking them as i am asthmatic and the leaflet says not for asthmatics so i am not sure why they prescribed me them in the first place
  • Posted

Hello there.

I take trams for back pain aswell. My advice is the following.

Respect the med. It has potential to be very addictive. If you find yourself needing more and more its time to cut back and give the med a break and cut back. Its ok to feel uncomfortable.

The last thing you want is to build your tolerance up high. At that point it can be very VERY difficult to cut back and quit. Of course Im no doc but that is my experience.

• Posted

Hi

I took 1 tramadol last night and it knocked me sideways i was so sleepy there is no way i can function taking this and being at work so i reverted back to my cocodamol as i can control the dose on them.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I've been on Tramadol for ages now, and still trying to get off them. It is not a case where you can just stop taking them - you feel very ill. I dropped my dose by 50mg SR, to 150mg SR - even that small drop took 3 months to reach.

They work wonders on back and shoulder pain, but getting off them is a nightmare.

If you suffer from Epilepsy or Functional Seizures then Tramadol increases the threshold level, and will cause more attacks.

I would advise not to touch Tramadol at all - I wish I was never introduced to them, but I was given them by a Locum Doctor, not my own doctor!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les,

My issue is i also have asthma and reading the leaflet has put me off taking them as i could stop breathing while on them.

My asthma is well controlled and i do not want to trigger that off so i am staying on my cocodamol for the time being.

• Posted

I used tramadol for about 2 years and I started having allergic reactions to it, really really bad. And the withdrawls are from hell. I recommend short term and lowest dosage possible. Some Doctors don't even know that tramadol has SSRI components so they think it can be discontinued like anything else.

• Posted

thank you for that, i am not keen on meds anyway and because i have asthma i am keen to not take too many meds, i am okay with the cocodamol at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.