Gabapentine for Migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

just been started on gabapentine 100mg 3 x a day for my migraine has anyone else been prescribed this drug for migraines I read the leaflet and read some forums and I am a little scared to take the drug they want me upto 900mg just not sure ty

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can only offer you an opinion from my perspective....

after being on Gabapentin for only two months I'm unable to return to work due to the side effects of this drug I would get another opinion. My brain is functioning at the same level as my 10yr old and my emotions the same as my 16yr old!! Not a fun drug to be on if there are any other options with less side effects... I'm currently on 600mg (was on 1200mg and reducing)

• Posted

well...everyone is different.  that said, after being on gabapentin for about 6 months @ 1800mg/day i started getting daily migraine headaches!  I was prescribed gabapentin for CRPS.  I since have stopped taking the drug even though it is very effective for nerve pain.  The side effects were too difficult for me to deal with...everything rachel82821 said, plus others....

good luck!

• Posted

i can say that i am on Gabapenton have taken it for 3-4 yrs, i origionally was prescribed it for my cervical pain issues, and nurve pain my left arm, and left leg, i stoped it after a yr, cause i didnt see it doing what i thought it should. then very fast i realized that my migrane headaches were steadly coming back, i went to my dr, was told that it is a neural type drug, and he could see how it may work on headaches so that's been a few yrs ago, i am taking 4 a day and getting my dose upped to 5 a day, for my neck etc, but i don't get my od headaches, daily like i used too. i do still deal with my neck, witch will cause some headaces, but i have seen the emprovement, it was wierd, i had several of the side effects on the first night i took it yrs ago. but none since then, so i say everyone is different, thats why there are soo many different drugs out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.