Swelling too the extreme

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all! Been in this group prior to surgery for anxiety, expectations, etc. today I am 5 days post op, home and feeling great! I am in the USA, had rthr, spinal anesthesia and drains placed post op. Discharged Saturday, with wound vac over incision. Granted doctors impressed with my mobility and eagerness to keep moving. Using steps as needed for

Potty. Keeping with all hip precautions. Today, home healthcare Nurse came And changed dressing, canister, it was feeling different

When turned back on and running. However, my

Whole

Leg has been swollen, but after this changing my ankle

Began to swell to an enormous uncomfortable size, I feel that my swelling is more than before and the ankle is new and painful, right when flexing or

Moving, I also feel like my

Thigh is way bigger in size compared to this morning. Any advice/suggestions? Spoke with nurse practitioner on call recommended elevation of ankle with hip precautions in mind, she is going to have another nurse come out and trouble shoot wound vac! She did state that I'd

No improvement possibly

Ultrasound to look for

A clot! This scared me to pieces, I feel like I am moving so much and taking the

Blood

Thinner

This

Could

Not

Be right?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Slow down - I got an impressive amount of swelling too. I'm glad they are sending a nurse to check.

But, this could also be from sitting or standing so much (gravity causes the swelling to pool at the lowest spot). It was a constant balancing act for to find the right mix of activity (to keep goid circulation to avoid clots and minimize swelling) and rest and elevation.

Try propping your foot up when standing or sitting for any length of time, it helps.

Please let us know how you are doing. I hope this eases up for you soon.

Good luck.

L

• Posted

Yes Linda it has eased my constant worry! I am thrilled about being able to walk with out chronic pain! The pooling makes sense and i am currently in bed resting and now I feel the pain and swelling ache the most
  • Posted

OH you poor thing, try not to frek, I too am i the us but I bet the people with great advice are our friends in the UK and you will probably wake to great advice.  I lay at night with a king size pillow uner my leg all the way up close to my butt, fold ( hubby does this) the end of the pillow under, then a small pillow under it, so it is elevated passed my heart. Helps the swelling. I have never had the vac, do you have ompression sox? they would hel are you taking 325 aspring?. or blood thinner??  Try not to be scared, easier said then done I know. xoxoo  Rocketmn has a guide I had it opened earlier he has step by step process of all things possible. going to look for the link or you. Annette sending you hugs
    • Posted

Thank u! Will look for rockets link, pretty sure he pasted it on one of my threads!

Not

Going to worry

To happy about

The fix!

• Posted

Swelling:  Swelling also can occur but not in all patients.  Some patients swell up and say their leg looks like an elephant's.  Others, experience no bruising or swelling post op.  The important thing to remember if you do swell up is to keep your feet elevated, toes above the heart at all times that you are at rest.  Use ice, ice and more ice.  It is best to prevent swelling from getting started, once it does, it will take a lot more to reduce it. If you sit at a desk or computer, make sure you get up at least every 30 to 45 minutes to walk around and stretch.  It is NOT good to sit still following major surgery, you risk blood clots by doing so.  Make sure you also WALK, walk and walk some more, plus do your designated PT exercises religiously.  You have to keep the circulation going.

• Posted

Patricia,

So glad you found us - this is the best place to be before and after hip surgery, everyone is so warm and helpful here.

I made a website of the top tips from others on this forum, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

here is the infro from Graham

• Posted

hi vettech , 

I had to look it up - why did you need a wound vac? just curious -

Swelling is part of the healing process - remember that you just had major surgery where there was some serious manipulation of joint going on - 

Post-op 1st THR surgery, swelling started on top of leg and made its wat down slowly - lingered around ankle for almost 3 weeks .. skin tight and red - I had home health nurse come in every day (live alone) and she checked it - as long as I did not have a fever, it was okay ... Ice and elevate .... 

You are doing great though ..

be gentle with yourself - tender loving care to vettech, okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Dear Vettech1215,

My dear new hippie, welcome to the club! i'm one year and two months post total left hip replacement. It's a journey, but it goes fast. I had steri-strips over my incision, so I don't know about drains and wound vacs. What I do know is that any surgery causes swelling big time. It must be part of the healing process. My particular swelling moved down my body from my hip to my ankles. This was a completely weird experience for me because I had never had any major surgery at 62 years of age. I did the entire routine of PT exercises twice daily and built myself up to walking 60 laps a day around my dining room table. When I wasn't exercising or walking, I elevated my legs and took naps. I also urinated a lot day and night. A hip replacement takes about a year for full recovery. Be patient with yourself. My surgeon had to regulate my blood thinner a lot during my recovery, so don't panic. Just keep telling the home health nurses about your statis. I also prayed a lot because my husband, suffering from advanced Parkinson's Disease, was in a Veteran's Nursing Home due to my hip replacement. I never got to bring him home because he died April 10, 2016. I don't know your situation, but stay strong, believe, and you will make it!

• Posted

dear Laura,

I am so sorry for your loss. ..

how are you doing otherwise? ..would love to hear more about you. ..

big warm hug

Renee

• Posted

so very sorry to hear of your husband's passing this April Laura, my sympathies xoxoxoxo

• Posted

Beautiful but sad post Laura.

I am so sorry that your husband died as you went through this. Please accept my deep sympathy for your loss. It is terrible to lose your life partner and Parkinson's was not an easy road - for either of you.

I hope you are starting to recover from your surgery and losing your husband.

With hugs,

L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.