Venlaflaxine and horrible dreams

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on Venlaflaxine for about four months 225mg and am having the most awful, weird vivid dreams?nightmares.  I used to be on it years ago but was switched to Sertralin which did nothing for the four years I took so asked to go back to Venlaflaxine. I'm really not feeling that much better and the dreams are getting me down. The only difference is before I was slow release capsule, one a day and now for cost reasons they only will [prescrine instant release. Any advice or help would be much appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If they won't give you slow release can they give you lower doses through the day?  Or experiment with when you take it?

• Posted

Thanks. I take 150mg in the morning and 75mg at night.  I'm thinking about changing to something else completly, not feeling good on Venlaflaxine but don't know what else to try

• Posted

Elaine.  I take one pill of 225 mg. at night before bedtime.  I have no problems at all..I guess we are all different..I feel great...
  • Posted

It's definitely an odd drug.  I went up from 150 to 225 after 2 months but I have always taken my full 225 slow release in the morning.  My GP has never suggested changing as often I'm just scraping by on the 225 and I dread to think how it would go if I was moved off the slow release version.  I've always had very vivid and disturbing dreams which I now think is part of the condition, it's just how my brain works things out.  It can be exhausting for my husband when I'm shouting and trying to run during the night and I'm now used to waking up as he grabs the back of my pyjamas to pull me back on to the mattress just as I'm about to launch myself onto the floor. What if you swapped the times you're taking them?  Take the 75 in the morning and 150 at night for a couple of weeks and see how you go.  Alternatively you could always journal the situation as it is just now and try and use the evidence to persuade the doctor to put you back on the slow release.  I know everything is driven financially at the moment but there are always exceptions.  when I went onto venlafaxine the psychaiatrist said it was a last resort drug, I had tried numerous meds and was drug resistant, ven was the first thing that worked for me, although I do sometimes take tryptophan to boost the uptake of the ven. Maybe you need something else added into the mix.  Not very helpful, sorry.  I hope you get some progress soon.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis:  It is funny how we are all different...I take my 225 mg. at night.  I was told to do so by my GP and my Psychaitrist.  I would afraid to take them in the morning...But to each their own..I take XL...I believe that stands for Extended Release...Right?? I guess you have read that to get off of Venlafaxine is almost impossible because of the horrible withdrawal symptoms..I want to get off, because of my constant sweating, but I am afraid to go off  My dreams are fine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine:  I have been on 225 mg. for 12 years now.  I don't have bad dreams....My only side effect is that I sweat (my whole body) day and night...Other than that, I am fine on Venlafaxine.  It has helped my anxiety tremendously....but I do hate the sweating so much....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.