Should I travel abroad with fibroids/menorrhagia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with a large fibroid and subsequently have experienced heavy bleeding and flooding. I've now been taking Esmya for 2 weeks and the bleeding has reduced significantly, I'm only experiencing some spotting now, which is much more manageable.

I have a holiday abroad booked in a weeks time and I'm still anxious about travelling anywhere in case the bleeding returns.

Hoping for some advice from those in the same situation as myself, this will help me to make my decision. I am also meeting with my GP before I go to talk it over.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI Danni, I have taken 3 courses of Esmya and have travelled both long and short haul during the courses. I often found that flying particularly would bring on bleeding within 24 hours. It did not stop me travelling however, I just made sure I took plenty of protection with me, both in my hand and stowed luggage. The bleeding was never as bad as pre-Esmya, it would just sometimes come on unexpectedly. Each course of Esmya has meant less bleeding, so although the fibroids grow back they are never as large as before medication. During the last month of each course I could pretty much guarantee no bleeding, but it was off and on during the first 2 months. Hope this helps,  I would not cancel, just be prepared.
  • Posted

Hi Danni, I've had one course of Esmya. From memory the bleeding pretty much stopped altogether for the three months I was on it. As Christine said take supplies to be prepared but if your period does start I'm sure it will be nowhere near as bad as usual. Enjoy your holiday!

• Posted

Do you know you can get tablets to delay your period from the GP? I did so I could enjoy a holiday abroad recently and to attend a concert in the past and they were a God send for me! The tablets are called Norethisterone 5mg tablets.
    • Posted

Hi, as Norethisterone works in a similar way to Esmya, i.e. Is a progesterone receptor modulator, not sure if they should be taken together, I think you either take one or the other. Your GP should know. Also, my bleeding whilst travelling was fibroid related eg not menstrual (I stopped having proper periods a couple of years ago, but the fibroids have persisted and stopped me going through menopause). 
  • Posted

Thanks everyone 😊

I was taking Northisterone 5mg for 3 weeks prior to being started on Esmya, but unfortunately it did nothing for me at all and I continued to bleed heavily on it.

My understanding is they can't be taken together, as Esmya blocks progesterone? And norethisterone is progesterone based so they almost cancel each other out I think (probably a very basic understanding!).

I have real anxiety about the bleeding returning whilst I'm away and was going to cancel the holiday as I'm only on my 3rd week of Esmya so I don't know what to expect, so it's really good to hear some positive experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.