HRT and Lactose intolerance

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started HRT about 2 months ago and have become lactose intolerant. Has anyone else experienced this? Ate a Greek yogurt today thinking it would be alright since it is low in lactose but now have severe cramps and bloating. I experienced the same symptoms 2 days ago when I ate a salad that had some cheese on it. Any remedy for cramping/bloating?

Karen

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Same here. Most things I eat cause bloating (even salad) and I also suffer with constipation. My doctor said its the progesterone in the hrt that causes your bowel to slow down. I now have soya milk and try and avoid dairy. I've been diagnosed with IBS too and coffee def makes it worse. Convinced it's all caused by the HRT. Yet to find anything that really helps.

• Posted

I make sure I eat enough veggies and fruit. I also got some papaya enzymes to help digestion which I think they really help and you just chew 3 little tablets which taste good. I got them at Cvs.

Karen

• Posted

I have just finished my first month on HRT and I have constant bloating. On 3 occasion's the cramps were so severe I thought I was going to have to go to A & E. I hadn't linked it to the HRT but I will keep an eye on what I eat to see if there is a pattern

• Posted

The cramps from dairy that have lactose have been severe in fact they lasted for 10 hours and the next day my stomach and back were even sore. I am staying away from dairy.

Thanks

Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.