Ruptured spleen/mono

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey there! My name's Amber. I suffer from health anxiety. I'm really scared as I did some research on mono which I have contracted. Some of the stuff wasn't too alarming. But I came across something that said your spleen would be swollen. And very easy to rupture. So obviously that freaked me out. Now I'm absolutely terrified of that happening to me. I've felt some slight pressure and some short sharp pains but they go away fairly quickly. I'm really freaking myself and my mind can be so strong I sometimes create the pain. If anyone could help me out or give me any kind of comfort I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI Amber, Anxiety and feeling "off" with brain fog is what a lot of us have experienced with mono.  The good news is that it does resolve as your body heals from this nasty virus.

As far as wondering about a ruptured spleen, your doctor should be checking your spleen by feeling your abdomen during a physical exam.  The doctor should also check your liver and do blood lab tests to make sure these organs are functioning properly.  If your doctor has not done this, you can ask for it or get a second opinion with a different doctor.

The spleen generally ruptures because of an accident or being hit in the abdomen.  This is why doctors recommend that people with mono do not play football or other activities where one could get hurt.  This is rare and if you are resting and taking care of yourself then this should not be a big worry.

As I said, I completely understand the feeling of panic, worry and anxiety that comes with the mono illness.  I was diagnosed with mono December 2015.  I spend the first weeks in bed resting and unable to handle any stress.  But things do get better!  Your body will heal itself as you rest, eat healthy foods, drink fluids, take vitamins and try to relaxe.

Blessings to you as you heal!

• Posted

Hey Amber, I was quite worried when the nurse told me about this too.

Everyone suffers differently with the severity of monovirus, however it is certainly very rare to rupture your spleen. If you have ruptured it, you'd know about it. The spleen would only rupture due to excessive force or trauma to that area.

I also had slight pains in my spleen whilst suffering from the virus.. I had the virus for a year and throughout the year fluctuated in severity.

I work with horses, and unfortunately was told not to ride because of the swollen spleen being an issue if I fell off. Ironically though, I'd had mono around 4 months before I was actually diagnosed (i don't like bothering doctors) and fell off twice with no rupturing of the spleen! So even with a trauma like that it was still fine smile

I know how you feel, this will get better. I completely understand that the fact that monovirus is different for everyone almost makes it worse when worrying about it! I took much longer to get over it because I originally didn't know about it, so knowledge is key. You can tackle it correctly now smile

So yeah, just avoid extreme sports/contact sports and you'll be fine!

Hope this helps.

Sally

• Posted

Spleen rupturing mostly occurs within the acute phase of mono and usually from a sporting accident. It's extremely rare especially if you're resting as one should be. When I contracted it two months ago I had intense pains and was cutting down trees before I found out i had mono. I'd worry more about eating healthy and resting at this time as that can help shorten your illness. Good luck and always chat here on the site if you have questions. I have found strength here through my bad contraction of mono.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.