Up and down

Posted , 5 users are following.

me again! Ive been on an up dose from 10-15mg escitalopram for a week and 6 days and is it normal to feel up and down from day to day? I find if I do stuf one day and because I feel better than I was I perhaps over do it and then feel really tired and heavy headed the next day. Is this me still getting used to the upped dose? Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

i started on 10mg for 2 weeks then the doctor upped me to 20mg. I felt good yesterday but today i feel lower. My doctor told me that it will take up to 8 weeks or could be longer to really feel good and normal again. I'm new to medication myself but from what I can tell thing do feel much improved but it needs more time

• Posted

Thankyou, it helps to know it's not unusual to feel like this and I don't like to jinx myself but I can see improvement, it's just when I feel ok and then not the anxiety rises and I worry but our bodies are still getting used to the meds I suppose, thanks again 😊

• Posted

Hi Sue. yes, ditto what smellslikeralph says really. it takes in my experience 2-4wks to get used to a change in dose on most ad's really. I'm glad you're feeling improvement, & hopefully that will get more constant with time. Don't forget the peri/meno issue could also be playing a part in ups & downs too hun. & please bring it up with your doc when you next see them. xx

• Posted

Hi Loo loo, can always rely on you, you are such a good support whenever I post on here! Yes I thought that it will take time and have doctors Tuesday as he wanted to see me 2 weeks after I started the higher dose and will definately bring up about menopause, thanks 😊 x

• Posted

Hi loo loo, just wanted to ask you did you experience waking with like a dizzy feeling but when I open my eyes it goes! Also waking with a heavy head/head ache and a bit of achy back! Do you think it's the meds not properly working or my anxiety? Also when the tablets kick in properly will all my problems go or do you have to learn to live with some things as I'm so unsure that I'm expecting too much? X

• Posted

Hi Sue. I sometimes wake with a headache that disappears within about an hour of waking which i think is due to the fact i grind my teeth quite regularly in my sleep!(i only know this because my husband tells me). i did feel a little dizzy for a few weeks when i changed doses but it went away after i  got used to the dose over  a few weeks.  the meds help you, but they will not solve all your problems, they just enable you to deal with life & it's issues better, more rationally, & without sending you into a big anxious panic mode. they just give you more control back. x

• Posted

Yes I think you're right! I've just got to accept that I might not be exactly the same as I once was but that's life!

The meds are helping, it's just I was such a early morning person and now it takes me til 11 or 12 to get going properly and some days are better than others!

Hopefully the headaches will wear off over time! Thanks loo loo x

• Posted

I've never been an early morning person, but can be if i have to.  In your case Sue, don't be hard on yourself for not being an early girl at present, you have to look after yourself in whatever way you can when you are ill with anxiety & having to cope with changes in hormones as we age. & if that means it takes you longer to get going properly alot of the time at present, than so be it for a while! go with it & nurture yourself. You are doing all you can at present to get yourself "back to normal" or as normal as possible under the circumstances of debilitating anxiety (& i think peri symptoms). right now you need to have adequate rest, & be kind & easy to yourself whilst you get your health issues back into some sort of control that will restore the real you & help you to function more like you used to. once you feel more like you again, then you can try to tackle your early morning routine if you still want to. Take care hun. xx

• Posted

Thanks loo loo, yes I'm just going to go with the flow and just concentrate on getting well and just taking one day at a time!

Take care, Sue 😊

• Posted

hi I'm on my 4 th week of upping dose from 10mg ( 9 weeks) to 15mg and still feel low and still have anxiety beginning to wonder if it's ever going to work I changed from taking it in the evening to morning just over a week ago wondering if my body's still getting use to the upping dose and changing times ?

Any advice please ?

• Posted

I have been told 8 to 12 weeks for full effect of the drug!! 
    • Posted

Hi Don. yes, i think its exactly that - the higher dose & taking it in the morning. both of which you've only started doing just over a week ago. keep in touch with your doctor, but in my personal experience i think you should get used to the higher dose & morning taking it within 2-4wks. i would give it about 5wks tops to see if 15mg is "your optimum dose" before considering going up to 20mg - all of course in consultation with your doc. 

• Posted

Thanks looloo

Time is a healer 😃Trying my best to be positive like u said I need to give it more time to settle thank u xx

• Posted

Hi Don. yes you are right. please read the post i sent to Sue about 24hrs ago as it applies to you to really (apart from the hormone & menopause bit of course!!!). x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.